tell ur funniest chicken experiences, post pictures and more

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stellacorina, Sep 25, 2012.

1. stellacorina

stellacorina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    Come one, come all!!! Its my favorite time of the year again :D Post pictures of your fllock. Tell your favorite experiences that you've had with your flock. Like pics of other people's chickens and more. So come on down to CHiCKENPOLLUZA!
    >:)>~) so cluck cluck show me the chickens :lol:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I stood in our back yard talking to a friend on the phone. The day was sunny and we had been talking for a while. I herd a noise behind me, so I turn to see my rooster challenging me with a stared that I new all to well, His eyes not leaving my legs. Wearing sandals and shorts, I knew this would not end well. I stood frozen not wanting to feel his two-inch long spars in my legs. It doesn’t seem like much, but those spars can pierce through jeans and winter boots easily. They leave a stinging pain that last half the day, and a scar for a memory. I had nothing to protect myself with. The small black broom that the roosters feared so much was inside the coop, much to far for me to reach. If I even as so much lifted a foot the fight would begin. I told my friend, who was still on the phone to hold on.

My mind was working; I was making up a plan. He was about four feet away from me. I glanced to the left. Our fenced in garden was about 10 yards or 30 feet away. May be just maybe I could make it. In my head I counted one, two, THREE!! I bolted toured the garden, running as fast I as I could, phone still in hand, screaming.
    Now don’t let any one ever tell you that roosters aren’t fast, they don’t know what there talking about! I was running full speed! I glanced behind me and what did I see Hope, my rooster, right at my heels. He chased me half way around the garden, before I had enough room to jump the fence. Heart racing, I stood, not believing how far he chased me. And he was still by the garden fence, guarding it. I walked to the garden gate, and Hope followed me on the out side of the fence. I need to now get to the house, which was about another 10 yards away.
    “Are you all right?” my friend asked from the phone. Yea! I am Ok!!! I yelled as I plode through the garden gate running past the unexpected Hope, as soon as he saw me he was right behind me. I ran as fast as I could and jumped our all four of our house steps, swung open the door and slammed it behind me. I stood leaning against the door breathing deep. Thankfully my rooster stopped chasing me at the bottom of the steps.

The next day I went out to the coop, completely prepared to tackle him. I wore bright red super padded dirt bike pants. Shin guards, and a heavy sweet shirt for when I pin him down, oh did I mention he bites.
    My friends watched from a distance as I walked confidently toured the coop. today was the day, I just new it. I would become top roo, and I did. It took a lot of the day. I chased him, and pinned him down when he tried to jump up and spar me. at one point I had him pinned down, we where both breathing really hard. I was so mad at him. He lay on the ground, my hand keeping him from getting up. All was silence, except for our heavy breathing. We looked at each other for a few minutes, each caching our breath. Then Hope did a very stupid thing. I was up to the top mad at him. And when that rooster turned his head around, and bit me hard enough that I let go of him. That did it!! I had snapped. I ran full speed screaming at him. I grabbed the little black broom witch he feared so much, and chased him. That really did it he was freaked out, and would not come near me. If I challenged him, he would walk away. That was the day I defeated him.
    Of course if I stop acting like the top rooster Hope will almost certainly, take that as a weakness. Then the hold dominance battle will start right back up again, and I will once again have to show my boys whose king of the roost. To have roosters I must say it is a lot of work, but for me it’s completely worth it. I am so glad I have them, and I wouldn’t trade them for the world.

The END

PS.
    Hope passed away this past July. he was truly the meanest rooster I have ever known. and I never really ever completely dominated him. every day I had to watch my back. He was a very special rooster to me, and no matter how mean, I loved him to moon and back.

3. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Crazy bird! [​IMG]

4. stellacorina

stellacorina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    I've got a good one for you. My mom and I had gone to a movie that night we arrived home at 8:00 pm we had forgot all about putting the chick's away the chicks were about 1 1/2 months old and their wings were clipped we had caught all of the chicks in except one, DOMO our little runt hen. We had searched the whole neighborhood looking for her finally my mom and I had given up the search, just hoping she was ok. We had forgot we had left the window open. We walked into the living room and I busted out in laughter. My mom said what are you laughing at. I pointed to the top of our six foot grandfather clock there was domo perfectly content perched on top of the grandfather clock. We'll never know how she got on top of that 6 foot high grandfather clock, but we sure as heck wil never for get the sight of a chicken on a big old clock. :p

5. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    That made me smile! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by