Tell us about your Veterans

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Since today is Veterans day I was thinking it would be a good idea to honor our Vets by telling a little about them.

My Dad served in WWII in the USAF as a gunner on a B-24, part of the 492 nd bomb group (he always told us the groups claim to fame was the only group disbanded due to combat loses)
    My Uncle also served in WWII as a fighter pilot and was shot down and killed over the English Channel
    My Brother served in Vietnam in the USN on the USS Cochrane, DDG21
    I served on USN Submaraines, The USS Grayback, USS Los Angeles, USS Bremerton and the Submarine Tenders USS Proteus and USS Emory S Land

I have 2 stepsons currently serving

One in the Ohio National Gaurd
    One in the 82nd Airborne at Fort Bragg, NC

Steve in NC

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I served 6 years in the Army Nurse Corps. Met my DH in Desert Storm on a military flight. He has since retired from the Army. 2 brothers and 1 sister retired form Army/Coast Guard. Dad served 4 yrs in Navy.

3. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

My pops served in WWII......... in Alaska...... I sure miss him...........
    My son Kenny is stationed up in Kansas at Ft Rilee
    [​IMG]

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

My Dad's brother Lance Corporal Robert Paul Sickles was killed in Vietnam in 1968 at the age of 21.

All 5 of my Dad's maternal uncles: 'The Richmond boys' served.

Bless all of those who are serving today....

5. charmed one

charmed one Show Me State Gal

My Dad was a tailgunner in WWII. His plane was shot down over the sea of Japan and he was a POW for 9 months til the war ended. My DH was in the army before we met stationed in Hawaii around 1977.

6. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    My father served in the Korean war in the Air Force and a very good friend of ours is a Vietnam vet (Army I believe).

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    My grandfather was in the Navy, commanding an LST in the Pacific Theater in WWII. He took Kennedy and his men to Guadalcanal (See PT 109). He also served in the Korean War commanding a sub. Dad served in the AF in the late 50's early 60's. 2 uncles served in Korea, hubby and SIL served during the Vietnam war.

8. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    My granddad served in WWII, my dad served in Korea.

My husband is retired Navy. He served for more than 20 years as a submariner, He only retired due to injuries he sustain during his service. He still wishes he was out "under the sea".

To every man and woman that has served or is serving....Thank you for your service to our country!

Laurie

9. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    My Father was WWII, stationed in Alaska. His brother was shot down somewhere in the same war, I never knew him. My stepfather was in the same war, stationed in the Phillipines, and is in a book called "American Guerilla in the Phillipines". My husband was in the US Marine Corps, in combat in Vietnam. He is 100% disabled through the VA, as a result of that war. My son in in the Army National Guard, just completed boot camp and is now an MP, currently stationed in Ohio.

Please pray for peace and families of wounded and fallen Veterans everywhere.

10. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    My father served in the Air Force. He was planning to fly fighters until they figured out that he had no depth perception when he was in ground school. He was sent to meteorology school instead and became a weather guesser.

Many of my uncles served. One was in Armor, and was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge. Another was a gunner on a bomber flying out of England. He won the bronze star for rendering first aid and fashioning a makeshift oxygen mask out of a glove to save a wounded crewman when their plane was badly shot up.

I was an Army FST lead, but I served briefly in peacetime. Not the same experience at all as those who serve in time of war.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by