Tell us the earliest a hen has layed an egg for you!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elizabethlongwood, Aug 2, 2010.

1. elizabethlongwood

elizabethlongwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    longwood, florida
    Our family is anxiously awaiting our first egg from our first flock of chickens. They are about 17 weeks. We are all betting on the day and the chicken to do the honors. We know better than to wish for eggs too soon since it can be detrimental to their health, but just for kicks and our entertainment, please share the age and breed of your earliest egg layer ever!!

2. keeko

keeko Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    My (favorite) Rhode Island Red from McMurray hatchery was the first to lay at 19 weeks....it's questionable if the other girls laid for the three weeks after that...but she started laying and the took some time off after an egg a day for almost 2 weeks!

3. chickenprincess92

chickenprincess92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Quote:Wow [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    My Faverolle laid her first egg at 22 weeks old and hasn't stopped laying yet (she's 1yr 3mo old). She's a sweet girl, a little shy but a great layer!

5. farmgirls

farmgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    We just got our very first egg! It was beautiful and pinkish color sitting perfectly in the nesting box. WHOOOO,HOOOOO! I think it was from my black sexlink. They are 18 weeks old.

6. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    Our breeder told us a couple of our girls were hatched around the 2nd week of March and our RIR started laying on July 19 and our Golden Comet on July 21. So, around 18 weeks or so. Still waiting on the other two. Our Barred Rock has the biggest comb and waddle, but I think she is waiting for her little friend to get bigger so they can lay together. ha.

7. chickenprincess92

chickenprincess92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Our girls are 17 weeks i am guessing that they will lay when they are 19 weeks old (more like hoping)

8. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Red sexlink ISA browns from Townline...first one started laying at 15 weeks. They're now 17 weeks and 1/3 are laying daily...wee little eggs right now.

9. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    My red star started laying around 16 weeks. She's lays a beautiful extra large egg most every day. She's nearly one and a half.

10. elizabethlongwood

elizabethlongwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    longwood, florida
    Wow, it really varies doesn't it? As early as 15 weeks all the way up to 22 weeks (and beyond I'm sure). That's a long stretch to be checking those egg nests for your first. Looks like the Red Star, Sex Links and Comets are earlier. Keep the posts coming!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by