Tell us your Family Thanksgiving Traditions

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Redfeathers, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    It's just around the corner. Where do you go, do you cook or do you get to go to someone else's place and bring home left overs? What kind of goodies do you make?

2. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Our family has gotten so big in the past 4-5 years, we can't visit near the family members that we would like to so, we usually go to my mothers home and to my wife's grandmothers. This year like the last 3, I will be going deer hunting until around noon(about the time the hunger pain hits!) then I will meet up with everyone at her grandmothers and from there we'll go to my mothers. We have the usual foods....potato's, gravy, cranberry sauce, corn, green beans, dressing,some type of caserole, pies, banana pudding and yes Turkey but, wild turkey! (not the drink) ha ha

3. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Always go to moms and she cooks, more than any one army could eat. There's; dirty rice, oyster dressing, duck, deer roast, carrot souffle',and of course the always denegrated green bean casserole, various and sundry other vegetables, cornbread dressing, giblet gravy,turkey, pork roast, beef roast,pecan pie, pumpkin pie, homemade pecan pralines,

This is makin me hungry!

I always have a Xanax first , there will be no less than 25 family members there. Then I can smile and enjoy the family traditions. Better living through chemistry!

Dont tell the DW about the Xanax she thinks I am just happy around the holidays. [​IMG]

OH....and there's always leftovers

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My dad makes the turkey. Even if we have Thanksgiving at another house, he brings the turkey.
    It's not Thanksgiving without green bean casserole with the onion rings on top!
    Did you ever wonder why Thanksgiving is with a turkey and not a chicken? Turkeys are less "knowlegeable" about self preservation, and therefor were easier to catch.

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    TxChiknRanchers I loved that menu, I've never had any of that stuff other then the green bean casserole and turkey, you know the common Thanksgiving stuff. I've never had a slice of pecan pie or deer roast and what is IN carrot souffle? Oyster dressing? yum! Can I come over to your place?

Wishful thinking....I'm usually in charge of cooking dinner, but my menu sounds very tame and boring compared to what you guys are posting.

6. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Quote:Come on down, you will be welcome! There are no strangers at Mom's for Thanksgiving.
    Carrot souffle- best that I can recollect is carrots and sugar, cinamon, all baked in a casserole dish. I think the carrots are blended if I remember right, I'll check with B Sue.

Oyster dressing- (my personal favorite) Is a rice dressing made with oysters, onions, garlic, bell pepper, celery, seasoned with red pepper, and thickend with a rue gravy.

Randy

7. blossom hen

blossom hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    NE Tx
    BIL will smoke turkey and ham. Mom will bake hen and cornbread dressing, cream corn and pecan pies and chocolate pies. Sis will make copper carrots, tossed salad and mashed potatoes. I'll make deviled eggs, carrot souffle, sweet potatoes, dr. pepper salad, dinner rolls, pumpkin pies, fruit salad and fresh green beans sauteed in butter and roasted garlic, topped with toasted walnuts (my favorite dish). We seem to have this same menu every year. And there will be enough for everyone to have plenty of leftovers and then some! Come on over! [​IMG]

8. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    TxChiknRanchers - save me a place at your table and a plate of that dirty rice and oysters - yum!!! The zanax is hilarious, good idea!!

I will cook this year, normally my Mom does but I'm giving her a break. We'll have turkey & ham, homeade mac & cheese, sweet potato souffle, dressing & gravy, cranberry sauce, creamed corn, homeade smashed potatoes, homeade bread (I have a good recipe with a sweet potato in it that is rich but not sweet), string beans, homeade pecan pie, deviled eggs, sweet tea, some other sides and desserts likely so that there are plenty of leftovers through the weekend - I love the leftovers!!

I guess as far as traditon goes, my daughter usually puts up the christmas tree thanskgiving weekend. This year she wants a real one so it may be a later weekend. She and her brother each have a big box of their own ornaments (things they have made or were given over the years, someof those collectible hallmarks...school & scout ornaments..) and each of them has half the tree to put up the ones they want on it. My daughter usually puts all of hers up and my son (at 17 is less enthused about this tradition than he was when little, haha!) puts up about 1/3 of his. So our day after thnksgiving really begins the christmas season for us! Leftovers, family, chickens cackling happily outside and sweet memories on the tree - what more could a person ask for?! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  9. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Because we live half way to all of our families....we have everyone here. ( plus we have the largest home..and on DH and I here)
    Here is our menue....

Turkey
    Ham
    Stuffing ( just plain sage and bread heels, onion,celery)
    Mashed taters
    Gravy
    Sweet taters
    corn
    Dinner rolls
    Cranberry Sauce
    Vegie plate ( carrots, celery, green onions sliced onion,sweet pickles, dill peckles, green and black olives, raddishes, tomaotes( from the garden saved before the frost as greenies wrapped in news paper) and various cheeses.)
    Deviled eggs
    And then the sweets......
    Buckeyes...chocolate chip cookies...oatmeal cookies..peanutbutter cookies...butter cookies.. persimmon cookies....Apple Pie...Pumpkin pie...cherry pie..and HAVE to have the chocolate pie. Mom usually brings a red velvet cake....and yes...fruit salad.
    We usually have between 15 and 20 people here. After dinner....a walk to the coop( have to share the leftovers) ...and then through the woods...come home..light the fire in the wood stove...and put up one of the Christmas trees. ( we put up 2 trees..but one on Thanksgiving evening the other goes up the following weekend.)
    This is my FAVORITE time of year...so many traditions...so many family members getting together, ( and for the most part getting along) LOL

10. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Your menus sound wonderful (insert drool smiley)

I just took over the main cooking at my house, it's been 3 years now. I am getting the hang of it LOL

We have turkey, stuffing, giblet gravy, smashed garlic taters, sweet potato casserole, a type of waldorf salad, cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, stuffed mushrooms, green bean casserole, applesauce, rolls, corn, pumpkin pie and pecan pie.

I think thats it. Wow its coming fast I better get my apron out!

TxChiknRanchers: too funny about the xanax. I learned my lesson last year........don't start doing shots until after dinner. I started a little early as a stress reliever and I caught a pot holder on fire and all the smoke alarms went off in the house:p Ah well dinner was great though and it made for a memorable event.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by