Tell your goat stories!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickenmum, Sep 21, 2009.

1. chickenmum

chickenmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    On the horns or no horns thread, the4heathernsmom said "Oh, the goat stories I could tell. LOL!"
    Well, instead of hijacking that thread and asking what stories, I am starting a thread.
    Everybody, What goat stories do you have?
    You are very very welcome to post pics of all your goats!! [​IMG]

2. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    You must have read my mind!! I want to hear lots of goat stories too.

3. chickenmum

Dec 7, 2008
    Mwahahaha

4. achieve1dream

achieve1dream Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    Wow I must have some stories . . . thinking really hard. With twelve goats at one time you'd think I could come up with something. Give me a few hours, maybe something will hit me.

I think one of the cutest thing my Boer kids did was climbing into the wheelbarrow behind my husbands back when he was trying to clean up. Adorable!!

Anyway I'll be thinking on it and get back to you. In the meantime I'm looking forward to hearing other stories. Go goats!

5. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    How bout the baby billy that got himself stuck in the chipper- yes, it was off. He wasn't even supposed to be in the barn, and I found him headfirst stuck in the chipper.

6. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Quote:

Note to self: Don't leave anything sitting around that the little ones can fall into and get stuck.

Poor little guy. Kinda funny though. Good thing one of the others didn't come along and turn the thing on.

Can't wait to hear more...

7. chickenmum

Dec 7, 2008
    We had a boer goat. We also have a pond with a pipe. Are you suspecting something here? [​IMG]
    It's a good thing we had a screen on the end the was over the pond, cuz he entered and got stuck in there, on that end, and he might've fallen in if there wasn't a screen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    when I first got my pair of Nubian whether kids, just weaned, we picked them up on the Saturday before Memorial Day in our mini van and put some kid collars on them with some leads and headed for home. When we got home and opened the back they were suddenly completely terrified and tried to jump out but we caught the leads and got them onto the ground. Immediately one started fighting on the lead and the collar came right off. One goat kid headed for the woods. I went after him. My husband, in the mean time, wrangled the other goat into the pen. We had never owned goats. We knew they could jump very high but we didn't realize how low they can climb under stuff. No sooner does DH have the goat in the pen as the little boy squeezes out under the gate and takes off for the same woods but in a different direction, lead in tow. DH goes after him. We catch neither and they eventually cross the street, go passed the neighbors houses and into the woods on that side of the road, not to be seen for the rest of that day despite some searching (largely impeded by thick vegetation that seemingly didn't slow them down but had us stymied).

Come next morning the neighbors across the street call. One goat caught in their garage. We go and with some troble catch the kid and get him into a dog crate. We fix the gap under the gate with chain link and let little kid into the pen feeling pretty self satisfied that we had him trapped in there. We sit and watch while he does a few circuits and then I'll be darned he squeezes under the 4" gap under the adjacent barn. So now he is under the barn with 3 ways out. There are only two of us so we block one and wait at the others. Hours go by and eventually I go and call the person we bought the goats from and while she is suggesting a way to get the kid out from under the barn he pops out my entrance and runs into the yard.

Goat lady suggests we use corn chips to lure the little one because that is what she uses as treats so we start throwing chips towards the kid and begging him to stand still long enough to get caught. About an hour of chasing, pleading, and waiting goes by before kid heads for the woods again not to be seen for the rest of the day.

Memorial Day dawns and the neighbors are calling again. Same kid under their porch. Now there are 6 of us positioned around the porch with seemingly no way out for kid. Our neighbor, who is a big strong man is elected to go under and catch the kid so he starts to crouch waddle in after kid. Before anyone can move kid runs right at him and leaps over his shoulder and out into the yard. Much chasing pleading and trying to wait it out goes by before again kid escapes to the woods.

Tuesday goes by with no sightings of either kid. By now we are thinking the copious coyote population has taken care of our little guys and we can kiss that expenditure good bye.

Wednesday around noon I get a call from the dog officer. They have a Nubian kid at the police station, will I go down and look. I go down and sure enough it's one of ours. The pen is now Fort Knox and the kid goes in and stays there.

Hubby gets home from work and we go out to Walmart. On the way home we are thinking about what must have been the fate for the other kid (who was not sighted since Saturday mind you). We get home to a message on the voice mail. The dog officer again. They think they have found the other kid. We go to meet her and sure enough there is our other kid, about 5 miles from our home. The owners of the house found him in their herb garden. They were disappointed that someone claimed him since they were already thinking about keeping him when they called to report that they had found him.

So we get kid 2 home and Cain and Able are safely penned for the next few months before being introduced into the horse paddock. They never left the property again, even the numerous times they got loose.

[​IMG]

ETA: cain is on the right, Able on the left, this was taken that Friday after they got back I think

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  9. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    LOL!!! WOW!!!

Note to self: I think my yard is secure with 5 1/2 ft no climb field fencing and the former horse stall with event front is covered in hardware cloth.

Maybe I should be asking sellers if the little ones are used to walking with a collar and lead.

10. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I strongly suggest dog collars over kid collars for sure! As you can see in the pic, ours got dog collars when they were both back. The dog collars can't just open up. The goats had been fine on the collars and leads at the farm where we got them but in the new environment of our home they were scared and went nuts.

One piece of advice on fencing. Be sure it can't be stretched from below. When the goats got older they learned to push up the fencing from the bottom and crawl underneath. If your fencing is good and tight it is less likely to happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by