1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Telliing Chickens Apart

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Firefly, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    I hope this is the right place for this question! We recently acquired 5 RIRs and my children are loving them! Problem is, my youngest DD wants to name them. Of course, I can't tell them apart! I'm thinking about getting leg bands, but the only one's I've come across so far are big bags of single colored bands, which won't help. How do you all keep track of your chickens?

My DD thanks you! [​IMG]

2. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    We did our best with naming them when they were young but it's not easy. Tell you daughter they are going to grow so fast that very soon (sooner than you may wish) she will be able to tell them apart. For the most part we waited and gave them names according to their personalities. [​IMG] Jen

3. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Sometimes at shows you can buy individual rings, that's what I did, and it worked really well. Alternatively you can use different coloured zip ties, making sure that they are not pulled too tight. Then you can just cut off the excess, and replace as they grow up.

4. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    Great suggestions-- thanks to both of you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by