tellin the difference between our chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bene449, Apr 30, 2011.

1. bene449

bene449 New Egg

Apr 30, 2011
    we got our chicks yesterday when they were just a week old, they're settling in well- we have one silkie and two salm faverolles. we wish to name all three, but when having two identical we're having trouble telling the defference. I've looked at their wings, claws, personality and everything but they are identical. I have heard of the rings to put around them, but seeing as its only for one chick, it'd be a waste to buy 20 and another pack for when she/he grows. Are there any other things i could do that are safe+free, like a piece of string? PLEASE HELP![​IMG]

2. mommom4

mommom4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    I put a drop of color dye on the back of her head. Now we know who she is! Good luck. You can use a different color for each one!

3. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Paint the toe nails with different colors? Not red!

4. ReadyRen

ReadyRen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I'm a noob but I second the paint the toe nails idea.

5. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    That's what we did to the back of one of our tortoises...he has a blue nail polish spot so we can tell them apart. [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I used to do the nail polish thing for newborn puppies - a blotch of color on one paw and then recorded info for that pup. It stayed on a long time . Of course dogs don't attack red polish like chickens. As the other poster advised don't use red - and probably not HOT pink or orange.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have 3-3 week old salmon faverolles and believe me they will start growing their feathers out quickly. You will be amazed at the deep beiges, browns and blacks that develop overnight, so you should be able to tell them apart soon. Marking them with food color other than red would be good temporarily.

8. mshirk

mshirk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Sammamish WA
    I've got three BO's. One is lighter than the others, but the other two are identical so far at 7 weeks. I'm hoping once they are fully grown one will be slightly bigger or rounder so I can tell them apart! Otherwise I may need to use the food coloring idea.

9. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Each time I purchase a bunch of white chicks, I mark their heads with marker although you may have to re-marker them once a week. I tried painting the first bunch of chicks' nails, but the polish didn't last very long for me.

10. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Having not read all the posts yet, this may already be a suggestion.

I was going to say if you knit or crochet and you have any of the little rings (place holders) you could put one of those on one chick (NOT RED) and the other one would have none. We were going to do this with ALL of our chicks because we have several that we can't tell apart, but now they are nearly 3 weeks old and we still could, but I think there is no point now.

Anyway there is another suggestion. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by