Telling apart chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cyart, Jun 12, 2008.

1. cyart

cyart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I only have 4 chicks and my kids (and I) would really like to name them, but can't really tell them apart! Does anyone have any tricks or ideas? Two ideas I had were to 1: paint one of their nails a different color; 2: buy different colored leg bands.

I don't think I want to do the leg bands, though - I would think they would find it to be annoying. And I don't know if it would be ok to paint their nail.

Thanks!
    Christine

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I've seen people (I know speckledhen has done it!) paint the chicks toenails before to help out with this same situation. If you don't want to leg band them, then that would more than likely be the easiest solution! I've also seen some people mark their little heads with markers, but I like the nail polish idea better. As they grow, you will eventually learn who is who by their personalities. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    you could also try a "livestock marker" which is just a big grease pencil to make a mark on their little heads. i'd be worried about pecking, though.

i think the idea of painting their little nails is incredibly funny! i say do it! just make sure whatever you use doesn't have a lot of fumes. permanent markers and nail polish are probably too harsh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by