1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Telling apart different breeds of bantams with the same coloring + gender guesses

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by orchardflock, May 5, 2017.

1. orchardflock

orchardflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2017
    Any ideas how to tell a barred rock bantam from a barred old English or other barred bantam variety? They are almost 6 weeks old. I know I should just wait a bit longer before asking, but I'm hoping someone can give me some clues as to what to look for.

[​IMG] Moon (big) & Pepper (little) - 5.5 weeks

These guys came from an assorted bin at a feed store. We got them for pets and for my children (7 & 9) for 4H. The look both the same and very different (more slender, longer necks) than my two big barred rocks. It's hard to tell how much of that is age and bantam vs. regular though.

[​IMG] Penny - 1 year

I'm guessing they are both female, but interested if anyone has different thoughts. I might think male for the bigger one and female for the little one, except otherwise they look the same and it is kind of a miracle the little one is still alive. At 1 week old she was having seizures, falling over, and we were on the verge of putting her out of her misery. Somehow she recovered over the next 24 hours, and we managed to get rid of it's perpetual poopy bottom with some fancy probiotics. I'm hoping she doesn't have some other problem with her. She has quite the personality and loves to be the center of attention.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Leg color is yellow in barred rocks.

1 person likes this.
  3. orchardflock

orchardflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2017
    Thank you! That's extremely helpful, and makes me think they are indeed bantam barred rocks. Which is exciting to me because it means we should actually get some eggs from them. It also makes it seem more likely they are indeed hens based on their coloring and head spots as babies.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They do look like pullets.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    look like pullets at this age

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by