Telling birds apart

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mich9510, Oct 24, 2016.

1. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    Hi everyone. I have 3 svart Hons chicks and 3 ayam cemani chicks. The problem is that I don't know which ones are which. Is anyone able to help me discern between the two? From what I've read, they are almost identical and usually a trained eye can tell the difference...which I am not lol. Does anyone know if it's possible to have them DNA tested for breed? I know there is avian DNA sexing. Thanks for your responses.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    From what limited I read about these, The Svart Honas were probably a batch of Ayam Cemanis that were raised in Scandinavia. They may be slightly more cold hardy than their cousins. [​IMG]

I was supposed to get Ayam hen this year, but the deal did not materialize. Well, there is always NEXT YEAR.... Wait......... That is a line from a famous baseball team... Chicago Cubs. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. mich9510

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    I'm confused. Are you saying they are the same breed? I thought cemanis were Indonesian and honas were Scandinavian. Two different breeds. I just need to know how to tell them apart.

4. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Where do you think the Scandinavians got their black chickens from originally ???

5. mich9510

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    So you're saying there really is no difference ?

6. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Since there is no geneology established for chickens yet, it is slightly harder to trace a chickens background than humans. The Scandinavians did not set out to make a black chicken. They must have gotten a flock of Cemanis in their world travels and decided to see how they could make use of them. If you had lets say 50 different chicken breeds in your farm. None of them had the black flesh gene. You started crossing them in whatever ways possible. You would come up with some possibly interesting breeds.. None of them would have the black characteristics of svart honas, and ayam cemanis. Silkies do have a darker flesh than most of the common chickens, but nothing compared to cemanis.
    Let your chickens grow out and then compare the differences. There will be differences among those of the same breed just like there are differences among people of same nation. No 2 are totally alike. Sometimes the differences are minute to our view.
    I have white pigeons. If you would look at them at first, you would think they are all Identical. Having them for a long time, I can spot exactly which one is which. I do not have large numbers of them ether.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]
    Here is a pix. Get my point.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by