1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Telling chicks apart in the incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alicefelldown, Sep 6, 2010.

1. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    I had a barrier set up in the incubator (which has worked fine in the past), but the first little guy out broke through like the kool-aid man. How can I make sure he gets his proper leg band once everyone else hatches?

The barrier was a length of 'fence' that blocked off a corner. It's worked for the last three hatches, but I probably should have braced it more this time. I didn't have any strawberry baskets handy. [​IMG]

The eggs/chicks are all the same breed, so there won't be anything feather coloring wise to make sure the chicks from these two eggs are properly tracked as they age.

Does anyone have any tricks or tips to help me keep an eye on this one? Thanks!

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Build something like this out of hardware cloth to fit your incubator.
    [​IMG]

Or just built cubes out of hardware cloth to set in there.

3. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    I'm in lockdown right now, I can't open the bator. I'm asking for things I can do NOW, not for next time. Like I said above, the barrier worked the last three times, I just didn't do the best job of setting it up for this hatch. Thanks though!

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Baster an an air line to drop food coloring on them?

Paint or nail Polish on a stick?

5. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I mark them on the leg with a sharpie (permanent marker). whoops, missed the lockdown in bold lettering. sorry about that!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  6. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    Quote:Those are both really good ideas! Though Id skip the nail polish just because its so flammable.
    It should be fairly easy to get some aquarium tubing in a vent hole and use a large syringe filled with darkly colored water or kool aid, and try to get some on the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by