1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Telling chicks apart

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by loloschicks, Oct 28, 2011.

1. loloschicks

loloschicks New Egg

Oct 10, 2011
    just got my first chicks today! i ordered from ideal and got 12 black broilers 1 black austrolorp and recieved 2 peanuts so kinda a fail because i cant tell any breeds apart even the extras look like the others. do i have to wait till they get bigger to tell witch is the austrolorp? help appreciated [​IMG]

2. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from VA! I have no idea how to help you, just wanted to say welcome and I know you must be super eggcited about receiving your new babies! When I got my babies (6 different breeds) I searched the individual breed and found chick pics to compare them to. Congratulations and have fun with your babies. By the way, they grow super fast!

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] to the BYC

Yep surprise 1 day does not help a lot but in a few weeks when size begin to change crops will begin later thicker legs are a factor you will see. Post pics they are cute. light now heat em up your the mommy. Big box 85 degrees the first week 2nd 80 and reduce by 5 degrees a week until the last is fully feathered. Pumpkin season big box at grocery and appliance stores have boxes. Medicated chick feed, water with vitamin water like a Vita Sol water soluble drops. Extra bulbs just in case thermometer to make sure its not to hot. Big Teddy so they can snuggle but a couple of things. Fire be careful we have a couple of fires even a barn burned to the ground with lights not being secure reported here at BYC in the last couple of months. The clamp one are a problem without safety chains. The most important is to make sure the kids have a place to get out of the heat. If they are not playing under it and around the edges its to hot. You want them to play under. At the top is the learning center and it has a lot of the chicken 101 things. Enjoy and have fun!!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  4. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    very exciting. in a few weeks, you can tell them apart. they change so fast.
    my babies are only 2 months old and they are the size of my bantams............. enjoy it..........take lots of pictures.

5. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    this is a picture of one of my australorps as a 2 day old, perhaps that helps:

[​IMG]

6. loloschicks

loloschicks New Egg

Oct 10, 2011
    wow that was fast, thanks! and thats what i figued waiting but either way theyre all adorable [​IMG] but one wasnt looking to good and couldnt stand on one foot he died this morning [​IMG] but the rest seem all good and happy.

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:I would go out and get some Vita Sol or vitamins and electrolytes in the water and start them on medicated chick crumbles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by