Telling different birds apart

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cityfarmer12, Mar 30, 2015.

1. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    My little brother (5) bought a chick a few weeks ago and it is a black jersey giant. I have a couple of those along with about 25 other breeds in a big flock. Anyways, i usually mark with a leg band when i have two of the same breed, and even then i can usually tell them apart, but he can't. i was wondering if anyone had a way to mark them that they stand out. My dad suggested a colorful spray paint on their tail feathers, but i was worried other would try to eat it. This may seem weird, but if anyone has any suggestion, i would appreciate it. Thanks!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Why does he not want the leg bands??? [​IMG]

3. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    because in a large flock, they are all running around and its hard to see a little leg band.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Some hatcheries will use food coloring on the down when people order different breeds that might look alike so people can identify them when they arrive. I don’t think spray paint is that likely to cause them to start pecking at the feathers, I’d be more concerned it might make the feathers brittle to where they may break, or the bristles or whatever they are called fall off the shaft. Haven’t tried it so I’m not sure what would happen.

I don’t know how fast the food coloring might wear off. It will disappear when the chick goes through a juvenile molt so you may need to maintain the color but I think that may work.

5. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by