Telling Kids a Chicken Died

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mattemma, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I just found my 9yo ds's RSL hen dead. She was only a bit over 2.Found her in the coop. I will tell the kids once we are home. Hopefully the excitement over the baby guinea pigs will distract them from the death.

Do you just tell it like it is,give a hug,and move on?

I got the bird in the garage.Going to bury her once we are home.Thankfully it is a quirky day of warmth and rain,so I can dig the hole easy. I am glad she died fast,and did not linger with illness like my other RSL hen.

My dd takes it well,but my son is always so emotional.Dreading it!

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Quote:That's the best way. If your son would like to help with the burial, this would help also. He could do a little funeral for her...this could help him understand many things about death and dying. Never too soon to teach about life.

3. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Well, death is a part of life, and even kids know that. They have to learn to deal with how they feel about it.

Here's what I do with kids when some pet dies - We have a little informal 'funeral' for it - we dig the hole, carefully wrap the animal in paper towel or something else that will decay in the ground, and then I say some prayers. Mostly like, "Thank you, God, for giving us this lovely animal to enjoy, even if it was for just a short time. We loved this animal that you made. You did such a good job on her, she had such lovely feathers, and laid wonderful eggs. We don't know why you took her home to heaven just now, but we realize that she belongs to you. You are the creator of all things, so you own us and all the animals and other things you created. And since you're God, we know that she is safe in your hands. Thank you - and now help us, please to get over our sadness about her death. Thank you for everything - AMEN

This usually sends kids away feeling very secure. Hope it works for you![​IMG]

4. Beekissed

Quote:That's beautiful! I'm so glad you are teaching your children so well! [​IMG]

5. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] What a nice way to help the children deal with death! I'm happy to see there are people that know how to raise children! WAY TO GO!

6. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Thank you, Beekist and Duchess - I'm a strong believer. I see God everywhere and in everything! Keeps me very joyful and secure, too! [​IMG]

7. Beekissed

I feel the same way. [​IMG] It's an amazing feeling, isn't it? I wish more could know just how good it feels to see God so clearly.

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Thanks for the input. I could not tell them yesterday. I will do it today after school and we will bury little Milly Bean next to Molly and Taffy. Dd handles it better. Ds get very emotional and angry,so I dread telling him especially since it was his girl. I always talk about life and death even in regards to us, and they do seem to accept it. That anger from ds though is a constant initial reaction that is just so hard for me to face.

9. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Raising animals means that you get to see them grow up and enjoy them- but that you also must understand from Day 1 on that all life is finite. It is a tough lesson to learn, but an oh so valuable one.

10. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Me... "I am sorry, but little Ruby June died today."

My kids... "are we going to eat her?" [​IMG]

I am sorry about your chicken. I feel that kids take all their cues from the adults in such situations. Aknowledging it is a sad thing and that anger may be felt is a good thing. But also guiding them to feel thankful for the time spent is also important.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by