Telling Kids a Chicken Died

Mattemma

Crowing
10 Years
Aug 12, 2009
I just found my 9yo ds's RSL hen dead. She was only a bit over 2.Found her in the coop. I will tell the kids once we are home. Hopefully the excitement over the baby guinea pigs will distract them from the death.

Do you just tell it like it is,give a hug,and move on?

I got the bird in the garage.Going to bury her once we are home.Thankfully it is a quirky day of warmth and rain,so I can dig the hole easy. I am glad she died fast,and did not linger with illness like my other RSL hen.

My dd takes it well,but my son is always so emotional.Dreading it!

Quote:
That's the best way. If your son would like to help with the burial, this would help also. He could do a little funeral for her...this could help him understand many things about death and dying. Never too soon to teach about life.

Well, death is a part of life, and even kids know that. They have to learn to deal with how they feel about it.

Here's what I do with kids when some pet dies - We have a little informal 'funeral' for it - we dig the hole, carefully wrap the animal in paper towel or something else that will decay in the ground, and then I say some prayers. Mostly like, "Thank you, God, for giving us this lovely animal to enjoy, even if it was for just a short time. We loved this animal that you made. You did such a good job on her, she had such lovely feathers, and laid wonderful eggs. We don't know why you took her home to heaven just now, but we realize that she belongs to you. You are the creator of all things, so you own us and all the animals and other things you created. And since you're God, we know that she is safe in your hands. Thank you - and now help us, please to get over our sadness about her death. Thank you for everything - AMEN

This usually sends kids away feeling very secure. Hope it works for you!
smile.png

Thanks for the input. I could not tell them yesterday. I will do it today after school and we will bury little Milly Bean next to Molly and Taffy. Dd handles it better. Ds get very emotional and angry,so I dread telling him especially since it was his girl. I always talk about life and death even in regards to us, and they do seem to accept it. That anger from ds though is a constant initial reaction that is just so hard for me to face.

Raising animals means that you get to see them grow up and enjoy them- but that you also must understand from Day 1 on that all life is finite. It is a tough lesson to learn, but an oh so valuable one.

Me... "I am sorry, but little Ruby June died today."

My kids... "are we going to eat her?"
hu.gif

I am sorry about your chicken. I feel that kids take all their cues from the adults in such situations. Aknowledging it is a sad thing and that anger may be felt is a good thing. But also guiding them to feel thankful for the time spent is also important.

Back
Top Bottom