Telling male from female

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KDailey, Sep 21, 2011.

1. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I have 5 Swedish ducks. 3 black and 2 blue.

These are my first ducks and I'm not sure how to figure out which are male and which are female. There're aren't any combs or wattles to look at! [​IMG]

Can anyone give me some tips? If really necessary I can try to get some pics up tomorrow but they'll have to be off my iPhone and I don't know how close I can get to them.

2. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    How older are they? That will help with what to look for and listen for. The females make the quack quack loud. The males have a quiet quack. And the males with get a curled drake feather after they are several months old.

3. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    ahhhhh! I have one with a curly feather stickin out the side of it's head! Is that what you're talking bout?

I got 2 black ones at the same time and was told that they were too young to be laying yet but they're definately not little babies anymore. They have all their feathers and are a good size, maybe not quite full size.

Then the other black and the 2 blue I got at the same time as ducklings. They should be around.... 1 month old?

I'll try to get some pictures when I get off work but I'm not sure how good they'll be.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:The drake feather is at the end of their tail on their back side not tummy side I don't think you can tell by a feather sticking out of it's head.
    http://www.efowl.com/Black_Swedish_Ducks_p/1029.htm look at the tail feathers on the one how they curl

5. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Oh wow. I feel silly now! Lol. When I read curled feather I instantly thought of the duck that has this random feather stickin out of it's head. Lol. I just immediately thought that's what they meant. Lol

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Thats kinda cute [​IMG] A feather stickin out its head lol

7. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    It's just one random feather curling out and up right out the side of it's head. It is cute. lol

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    I don't know about the Swedish, but with our Calls, it is very obvious when you get them to quack which are the boys and which are the girls. Just like humans, the girls are more...um, "vocal". [​IMG]

9. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Well when I'm not actually with them, looking at them or standing next to them, they quack up a storm so I know I have some females but I don't know which ones. They never quack when I'm actually paying attention! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by