Telling my Maran chick's apart- and any ideas on Light Brahma

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicken Fruit, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I ordered, among other things, 4 maran pullet chicks and 1 roo. Theyre nearing three weeks now and of the five only one is getting wattles in. His legs are a little thicker, and his comb, while not the biggest, is still big for a 2 week old chick.

You suppose its safe to assume thats my roo?

I also have the same number of Light Brahma's with one roo. Is there a trick to telling them apart? I have one thats the heaviest and has the thickest legs compared to the others.

Its kinda silly to take pictures, because besides those tiny differences theyre all the same.

2. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead

3. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I think you will start to see some differences in your Lt. Brahma's in a week or so -- I started to see it at 3 weeks..definitely at 4 weeks. Still hard to tell, I think. I'll be interested in what others say. It sounds like you got exactly what you ordered on your Maran's.

4. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

The light brahma cockerel will have a slightly longer comb - goes further up the head, I mean, not taller, necesarily.

With the bigger thicker feet, though, you probably have it guessed right.

meri
    (I love brahmas, you'll be happy you chose to get some - they are like big fluffy puppy dogs).

5. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Great! Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by