telling silkie chicks apart

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Katzinthehat, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Katzinthehat

Katzinthehat Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2009
    My agri-science class is incubating chicks as a class project (that is where my family is getting our first dozen chicks once the school is done with them) and i am really hoping for a silkie chick! [​IMG] there are a couple of creamy colored eggs in the bator, but once they hatch, i predict that most of the chicks will look alike. are there any other chickens with more-then-four toes or are silkies the only breed? also, are there any other external ways to tell a silkie chick from others without being iffy?
    -future silkie lover

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Sultans I know are another breed that have five toes. Another way to tell is that silkies have feathered feet, and, depending on genetics, can have a vaulted skull and/or a top knot(the head poof). Also, they have black skin. I hope this helps. [​IMG]

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I think Silkies are the only breed to have black skin, so if the skin is black, its a silkie. Also check for 5 toes. Not all silkies have a vaulted head, so just forget about that, unless you see a black skinned chick with a vaulted head.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    5 toes, black skin, vaulted head.

5. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    yes 5 toe black skin flat comb sultans have a v comb

here some pics of adults sultand and silkies there the only ones that would look alike when there young!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Katzinthehat

Jan 3, 2009
    thnx peeps, but can you define 'vaulted head' for me [​IMG] , i'm kinda new to all this vocab [​IMG]

7. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    it means that there will be a small knot on top of the head where there crest will be but not all silkie babies get them

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    [​IMG]

A is the vaulted chicken head (usually seen on crested breeds).
    B is the skull of a non-crested bird.

True, not all silkies will have a vaulted head, but it is desirable. Either way...if it has a vaulted skull and feathers on it's legs..pretty good chance it's a silkie.

So...things to look for:
    5 toes (MAY have it)
    Black Skin
    Vaulted Skull (MAY have it)
    Beard (MAY have it)
    Feathers on legs

9. Katzinthehat

Jan 3, 2009
    thnx a bunch [​IMG]

10. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Here is a picture of some silkie chicks so you know a lil better what to look for.

Some buff silkie chicks
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by