Telling Silkies Apart?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by koakritters, Sep 17, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    Ok, who has raised lots of silkies before? I've always been told that you can't tell male/female until they are much older, but I have 3 one month olds and I can definitely see a big difference between the male and the 2 females!!! He's bigger, stands taller, and has his little crest thing starting to grow, while the 2 females are smaller, stand more like hens, and their foreheads are flat.

Am I just being hopeful that I can tell them apart? Or do I really have to wait until they are older to be able to tell...?

2. jodiea60

jodiea60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Arkansaw
    This is my first go round....I have silkes and frizzles....One little frizzle is already getting a little comb between its eyes...I have 2 silkies that are much bigger and have HUGE feet.....so we are taking bets!!! My chicks are almost 3 weeks

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

With some silkies it is obvious by that age, yes. But they can STILL fool you - it has happened to me!!

4. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If they have a large combs at 3 months, they are very likely roos. Some show quality roos don't develope much comb. If you really want to know, pictures are the way to go! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by