Telling the difference between a break/sprain?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hokankai, Nov 23, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I just got back from college for the holiday, and one of my hens is looking a little weird. She's very aloof and was raised by a hen so she's not the friendly. The other day they got out and she did NOT want to go back in. She ran around and around and apparently my dad finally got her by pinning her in the shoulder with the end of a board. Well...she doesn't look like she should. She's holding her body a little lopsided, her wings are lopsided, she's walking really wonky/stumbling every so often, and she rests on the hock of one of her legs quite a bit.

How do I tell if something's broken or if she's just got a sprain? She's still walking albeit a little funny, she doesn't seem to be using her wings but she did ruffle them when she squatted and I rubbed her back.

What do I look for? I couldn't feel any obvious protruding breaks and she's still very interested in food. I don't know if this is a regular thing but last night she was sleeping below the roost on the poop board and someone's been laying eggs on the floor (but they don't know who).

I can get pics/video later if necessary.

2. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Anyone?[​IMG]

Oh and it's been a week since the incident.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  3. rayismybaby

rayismybaby New Egg

Apr 19, 2013
    hi! im dani. i was wondering if you can tell me how this went. was your chicken ok? if so how long did the healing process take? i have a cockateil with a similar problem and i really need help. your reply is GREATLY appreciated. its really nice to get answers!!!
    thanks in advance,
    Dani

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by