1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Telling the difference between a respiratory infecton and congestive heart failure

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rebornartist, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Rebornartist

Rebornartist New Egg

Jan 17, 2017
    I have a good sized flock with all different kinds of chooks. The smaller breeds, I have about five Seramas, I have had them for years and when winter comes, I provide them with a warmer temperature inside their coop. It was so cold this past weeks that even putting bag balm on my Serama rooster's comb, didn't work so good. I guess it would have been worse if I hadn't of done that. I decided to bring him inside for a break out of the cold since he is six years old and I have a cage set up like a little hospital cage for recooperation. I bought in one of his little hens, the same age to keep him company. I noticed she was rattling and sounded congested. Since I have administered to her a few drops of sulfa medication, she is doing great. She even laid an egg in the coop. She is eating like a hog and is doing way better, but, I am not sure that because of bringing her inside in a dryer climate that it is congestive heart failure because of the clicking noise inside her chest. So far, no liquid has come out of her lungs. I have dealt with congestive heart failure in a hen before. I had an Americauna that I could not let go and so I brought her inside in the hutch and took care of her. She got used to the routine of every couple days I would take her outside and she would allow me to expell all the liquid from her lungs. I could have just let her pass away out in the coop with the rest of the flock but could not bear the thought of her passing away in the freezing cold all alone. I was able to keep her alive for two months before she just fell asleep one night and that was that. This tiny Serama hen, I realize that chickens do no live forever and that they are only chickens but I don't see it that way. She is so sweet and follows me everywhere. She is so tiny and her color is black that I have to be careful where I step. She is still inside the house in a cage and she seems to be very content and happy. I bring her husband inside for a few hours every day to visit her. (J.R the serama rooster) So she does not have alienation from the flock. The sulfa medicine I have acquired seems to be one of the best medications to have on hand when it comes to infections. I just wish I knew the difference between a respiratory infection and congestive heart failure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by