Telling the sex of my muscovies is just too confusing!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Smartie_Pants, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I have five, three black and white and two that are mixed colors. They are the friendliest ducks I've ever seen, but have no clue what two of them are! Two of the black and white ones are boys. They are giant, 3 times the size of the black and white female (pretty sure its a female), but only about twice as big as the other two in question.

Here is the black and white "female":

[​IMG]

Here are the two in question:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought they were boys too, but they are more than 1-2 weeks older than the rest, and they are no where near as big, although they are a little bit bigger than the female.

What are they!?!?

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I'd say both females...they would have more carnucles if they were males

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I think they are females.

4. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    WHOO! Thanks so much, I am so glad. I posted pics when they were younger, and even most of the members thought they were males. I'm so glad I don't have to get rid of any of them now.

Oh, wait. I forgot to say that they are only about 3 months old. Does that make a difference?

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It can make a difference. Sometimes the carnuckles don't come out o the males in full force until 6 - 7 months.

Males also usually get a curly tail in duck breeds. Also you can see the male parts when they get excited.

6. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I've raised alot of other breeds (rouen, mallard, blue swed, magpie, many mixes) but I've never had Muscovies. It's hard when you can't rely on the voice to tell you. Judging by the body types and sizes though, I'm pretty confident in the decision that these are female. The two boys are so different.

7. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    Quote:Why would you have to get rid of them if they were males? They look like females to me, but they could be young males.

8. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Quote:But not in muscovies though...

9. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:Why would you have to get rid of them if they were males? They look like females to me, but they could be young males.

They would overbreed the females. With larger ducks you want 3-6 females per male.

10. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Yeah, I've still got some evening out to do though. I have one big magpie drake and the two Scovy Males and six females, not a good ratio. I tried hatching out 4 clutches under mama hens this spring, and they were all total disasters. The first batch literally cooked, and the insides looked like boiled egg. The second batch was completly infertile, and the third never worked because no matter how much bedding the hen had under her, they eggs were never warm. The last batch was doing great. Eight eggs and all were developing, until something raided the nest halfway through.

Worst comes to worst, I have a very large goat lot and barn I can keep the males in next spring if needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by