1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Telling the sex of pekin ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheDuckCrew, Mar 18, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    So i might be hatching some of my pekins eggs, and i'm going to keep some girls that hatch to add to my flock. i just want to know at what age should i be able to tell the difference between girls and boys? I know that hens quack and drakes whisper and that drakes have drake feathers when they get older but is there any other way to tell the sex earlier? i don't want to try vent sexing because i have heard it may not be accurate and could harm the ducks.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Drakes don't get their drake feathers till they are at least 4 months old. My pekin girl that I hatched started quacking around 2 weeks old, and my rouens and cayugas started around 4 weeks. So you wouldn't have to keep them too long to be able to tell. You could vent sex them, if you know how to do it. I don't, and am happy just waiting for their quacks [​IMG]

3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    thanks. i'll be happy waiting. more time to spend with the ducklings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by