temp and humidity question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sybil, Feb 7, 2008.

1. sybil

sybil Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2008
    Can someone tell me what the temp and humidity should be for hatching chicken eggs?[​IMG]

2. RepoBob

RepoBob Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Hi & welcome

I don't know how to link it, but therre is a post I started called Please Hold My Hand in this section.
    It explains it all. Several members are doing a step by step in real time.

Bob

3. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    37.5 C / 99.5 F , 40-50 % increased to 65-70% for hatching.

4. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Hello,
    I have a still air incubator that I set up. It has nothing for humidity reading. I stuck a water wriggler in there with a acu rite temp/humidity therm with probe. The thermometer in the bater is right on target at 102 which it says it needs to be at for still air. Has been holding steady for 24 hours now. Here is my problem. The acu rite doesn't match with the therm. that came with it. It says 70.5 degrees, and the humididty is staying at a steady 30 percent. Should I just stick my eggs in there and take my chances or what should I do. I also have to hand turn my eggs which means I have to open the bator, and when I do that them temp flucuates a little bit.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    lilshadow, What kind of thermometer came with the bator? How old. I would personally go with the temp in the water wiggler and get it up to 99.5 with 50-55% humidty. Get a second Acurite to get an average of temps. Good luck. [​IMG]

6. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Just a regular mercury thermometer. I have a still air bator, it is consistant with the therm that came with it, but the acu rite is 30 degrees lower, and the humidity is at 27-29 percent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by