Temp change

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hrolling, Feb 9, 2015.

1. hrolling

hrolling New Egg

Feb 9, 2015
    My temp in my hovabator held steady at 100 for 18 days I took the eggs out of the turner this morning added the water to the trays but temp has only been holding about 92 all day I just turned it up abit but wondering the effect it will have on the eggs ......after just starting lockdown I wa nervous to change anything but all day seemed a bit much for that temp to me.....this is my first batch of eggs ever to incubate have 5 of my polish eggs in there from my babies .....nervous and excited and now alittle concerned.......don't want to have to phone my girlfriend crying about miscarriages [​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! Removing the turner and adding water, was it warm or cold water that you added? Can affect the temp in the incubator untill it has settled. A little cooler temps at this stage in incubation should not be a problem as the chicks should be pretty much fully developed and producing some heat of their own in the egg. A little cooler is far better than too high. I think you have done the right thing by waiting all day before adjusting the temp. Only make very small adjustments and give it time to settle before making any more adjustments.

Good luck with your hatch and polish eggs :fl
    I too have polish and have 15 eggs in the incubator now on day 13. Just love the breed how many adult birds do you have?

3. hrolling

hrolling New Egg

Feb 9, 2015
    Thank you for your welcome and insite [​IMG] I put warm water in the trays , I turned the heat up last night and this morning but still only seems to be reading at 94 I have turned it up abit again now hopefully I get more results this time ,seems to be slow to come up. I only have two adults , black white crested polish a rooster and a hen......got into chickens last spring when I bought these two and am now in love they are such a friendly ,fun little breed , am addicted now I am afraid ,fingers crossed they hatch out , then I am ordering eggs from a lady that has 5 or 6 different breeds of polish excited [​IMG]but wanted to try some of my own eggs first as I have never had chickens before or incubated , best to hatch free ones first I figure so I have 5 of my eggs and am hatching out 9 of a neighbors eggs just to get it figured.
    I hope yours hatch out [​IMG] its an exciting and nerve racking thing. What kind are yours ?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I suggest that you confirm your thermometer is working correctly. Maybe compare it to a medical thermometer.

Is your Hovabator a still/thermal air or is it a forced air (with a fan)? In a forced air it does not matter where you take the temperature but since warm air rises it is very important in a still air.

I wish you luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. hrolling

hrolling New Egg

Feb 9, 2015

6. hrolling

hrolling New Egg

Feb 9, 2015
    I haven't checked it since the lockdown but was working just fine before I put the water in the troughs so thinking it's the water that has changed the temp rather than thermometer but won't hurt to do anyway ......its a still air bator but now that I think about your temperature position comment it was laying on top of the eggs until I took the turner out and is now sitting on the screen so is down lower ......thanks .....will have to grab a probe thermometer and check the temp again mid air

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  7. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Great point there from Ridgerunner. Take the temp from the top of the eggs as its a still air. Hope that gives you a better reading, I didnt realise you had moved the thermometer down in the incubator.

I have two mixed groups of polish. A silver lace frizzle roo with 2 chamois, 2 white crested black and 2 gold lace girls. Second group is a blue splash roo with 5 gold lace girls 2 who are frizzle. Have done one test batch of eggs from them that are two weeks old now and just moved out into garage for more room. 13/14 hatched with blues, a silver lace a gold lace and some kind of chamois/buff colour a mixed bag really with four of them frizzle. Feathers coming on well now.
    Good luck keep us posted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. hrolling

hrolling New Egg

Feb 9, 2015
    Yes I hadn't thought if the position of the thermometer either ......love the pics [​IMG] can't wait [​IMG]

9. sherriwv

sherriwv Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2015
    Newbie here....When you go into lockdown what and where do you put your thermometer? Wondering if it remains sitting on top of eggs?

10. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi there! Do you have a still air or forced air (fan) incubator? Still air definatly leave the thermometer on top of the eggs. For a forced air incubator anywhere should be fine as the air should be evenly distributed around the incubator by the fan.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by