Temp Chick Food?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jewels1935, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Hiya everyone, and good morning:) My little guys are doing good, and I was wondering if I could crush the layer crumble food up for the chicks, untill I can get to tractor supply today. I will be picking up the starter chick feed.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I would feed crumbled hard boiled egg yolk.

Don't feed layer to chicks.
    Grower is 1% calcium, layer is 4% calcium - not good for little kidneys.

Chicks can go up to 3 days without food.

3. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:Thanks so much! I'll do that:)

4. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    One more question..so I can feed mama her usual house goodies and the starter? If the layer is bad for babies, I can't put that in the area she's rasing them?

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The chicks will eat anything in their area. I've seen hens take food out of a high feeder and give it to their chicks. I've also seen some pretty young chicks fly up to the feeder to get to the adults feed. The way I get around it is to feed Starter, Grower, or Flock Raiser to all of them and put oyster shell on the side. The ones that need the calcium will get it and the others won't eat enough to harm them. One or two bites of Layer won't hurt the chicks so don't panic if they eat a bit. It takes a little more than that. But too much can harm them.

While the hen is not laying, she does not need the extra calcium in Layer. She is fine eating what the chicks eat.

There are a lot of things you can feed the chicks in an emergency. Corn meal works great, just not as a regular diet. The risk is if it's something that needs to be ground up. They don't have teeth so they use grit in their gizzard to do the grinding. They use coarse sand and small gravel for grit. Corn meal and boiled egg yolks don't need to be ground up, so they don't need grit for those.

6. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:Thanks SO much! [​IMG]

7. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Quote:I think this is only a problem if you do it longer term, not if it is just a few days until you can get to the feed store.

Quote:This is only true for chicks that have just hatched because they have the yolk still available to them, not for chicks that are older. Older chicks need food and water every day, just like every living creature.

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:I think this is only a problem if you do it longer term, not if it is just a few days until you can get to the feed store.

That's true but it doesn't take long

Quote:This is only true for chicks that have just hatched because they have the yolk still available to them, not for chicks that are older. Older chicks need food and water every day, just like every living creature.

I didn't mean to imply that they could go 3 days regardless of age. I thought the OPs chicks just hatched yesterday.

I meant to say that newly hatched chicks don't need food.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  9. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    For 1 or 2 days I don't think you would have any problems. Even a week you probably wouldn't have a problem. I would give it to them, better than if they went hungry. Chicks that are brooded by a hen eat all kinds of things.

10. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Thanks for the advice everyone, greatly appreciated! Mama keeps offering her food to them, they're acting hungry. I'm going to do the egg yolk just for today, I'll have everything I need by tonight. I know, [​IMG] I should already have it [​IMG] Mama is also showing them how to drink. She's doing a fantastic job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by