Temp DIP question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tx_dane_mom, Apr 18, 2008.

1. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Ok, so I know temp spikes are bad and can be fatal...what about a temp dip to the 80* range? I don't know how long it was like that...not more than 2 hrs.
    My dane puppy stood on top of my LG and crushed it in breaking 1/4 of my silver marans eggs while I was in the back yard and anyhow, I got it cleaned up as best I could w/the eggs still in the turner (worried about some contamination there...) Thankfully all my Crele Penendescna eggs were ok....but I came in later to realize the temp (after I taped my bator back together) was sitting @ 80something*.... thoughts??

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I had a power outage and my temp went down to 80 for several hours. I had 9 hatch out of 28 but that was my first time. I'm sure I did not have things right. Like I always say, someone will get on there that knows better then me and help you. I just wanted to tell you what happened and how it turned out. Good Luck.

3. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Depending on what day you are at it shouldnt have any real effect on them. If it was very early in the time you might loose a couple but most should be fine. That is the wonderful thing about an egg, it holds temp for a long time before causing death. Good luck and let us know how it goes, bad dog..lol Jenn

4. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Thank you! I didn't even THINK about when I hatched a batch right after our last hurricane...we had a power outage for a while and I had to hook my bator to our generator! LOL...Ok so I HAVE been through this before [​IMG] Someone just had to say the keyword 'poweroutage' which broughtup 'hurricane' and I'm back home [​IMG] [​IMG] They'll be just FINE! [​IMG]

5. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Quote:Tell me about it! That was her 2nd time doing it! This time I moved the bators to my daughter's room so she can't get to them....and I *think* she was tring to EAT the eggs since I had just given her a fresh whole egg to eat right before I went outside....so I could totally slap myself on the wrist as well....

6. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    LOL, we have started keeping our old coon hound in the house as of a few weeks ago. She is 11 and had been hard of hearing for a while now. She wasnt eating so well so I brought her into the house to keep an eye on her. Amazingly she hears a little better..lol SHe is such a good girl though, she stays out on a tie out most of the day and then comes in for the night and nap times. I have been giving her more eggs to help boost her appetite and now if I forget to put the egg basket up when we bring them in from collecting them she will try to help herself. lol Silly dogs. Jenn

7. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    So I candeled everybody tonight and I *think* I *might* have lost one of my silver marans, but I will keep it in a couple more days and check again, but everyone else looks ok I am happy to report [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by