temp down to 96.2! wont turn up anymore!! help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sonew123, Apr 2, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Im on day 2-My hobavator 1602N with turner is on the fritz! This bator is new and this is my first hatch-When I woke up the temp read 96.2!!! It was turned up as much as possible-there oare only 13 eggs in there--humidity is 42% I just called my daughter to check and it hasnt gone up at all-almost 24 hrs with low temp-what do I do!!!??? help

2. triplebfarm

triplebfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Sweetwater, Tennessee
    Is the thermostat controlled by a wafer?

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    yes-it's the wafer kind...Should I go in and unscrew the wafer out and redo it-maybe i cranked it way to far when I was starting out a few days ago?

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    sounds like you need a thermostat adjustment or a new wafer. Did you have is set before you put the eggs in? If it regulated correctly before, then its probably the wafer.

5. triplebfarm

triplebfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Sweetwater, Tennessee
    If you unscrew the wafer, and then screw it back on with ample room to turn it up, then you can adjust the temp again, mine did the same thing and that is how I fixed it. Let me know if that helps!!

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    If you have windows on the top, cover them with folded wash clothes. You lose a lot of heat from the windows. I also wrap towels around the sides of the bator for insulation (just have to be careful not to cover the air holes). If the bator is sitting on a cold floor, put a towel under it. All of those things help.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    wow-thank you-When I get home tonight-I am unscrewing the wafer and re-doing it..Yes I had the bator running for 4-5 days before eggs went in-Im new so I wanted to make sure I knew what to do..NOT..Then Ill cover the windows and the seam of the bator and see how that works-do you think my eggs are ok?

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    First off don't cover every seam you find they have to breathe. I find that turning on a small heater to heat the room itself helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by