Temp drop during incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tabithatoo, Dec 3, 2011.

1. tabithatoo

tabithatoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    New Roads, LA
    I have some eggs that are on day 21 today. No peeps yet. [​IMG] However, we have had a cold snap in recent weeks and the temps dropped in the incubator several times down to the 96 degree range. Do you think there is still a chance? It seems like I've read that sometimes when this happens it just takes a little longer.

2. tabithatoo

Apr 29, 2011
    New Roads, LA
    FYI-this is not my first time incubating, just my first time dealing with the cold weather while doing it.

3. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    They should be fine, maybe a little late as you said.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  4. tabithatoo

Apr 29, 2011
    New Roads, LA
    Thanks. I've had them on lockdown since day 18 and I don't want to open the incubator up and take a closer look. I never candled any of them (I never do since they're BCM eggs and it's harder for me to see what's going on). I guess I'll just give it a few more days.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Keep the faith... One of my incubators went down to 93 the one day because of a power outage. When the power came back on the incubator went up to 115. Another time on our coldest night We lost power, I was 2 weeks into incubation. The temp in the incubator was 78 degrees when I discovered it. I put the incubator on a battery pack with an inverter and brought the temp back up. I was really worried but I still had good hatches.

6. tabithatoo

Apr 29, 2011
    New Roads, LA
    Still no pips. Ugh. I guess it's ok, though. I won't freak until tomorrow-ish. [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If the temperature was a little low then the chicks will develop more slowly. It may take and extra day or two before they hatch.

8. tabithatoo

Apr 29, 2011
    New Roads, LA
    Day 22. Still nothing. So sad. [​IMG] I guess the temps really screwed them up. I'll give them until day 25 before I chunk them.

On the upside, sold my last hatch! Someone is coming to pick them up this morning. [​IMG]

9. tabithatoo

Apr 29, 2011
    New Roads, LA
    Day 23. Still nothing. Anyone think there's still hope?

10. tabithatoo

Apr 29, 2011
    New Roads, LA
    OMG! Came home to pips on day 23. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by