temp drop when turning eggs? What about vents?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pioneergirl, Oct 28, 2010.

1. pioneergirl

pioneergirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    East Texas
    I have a homemade incubator and have been testing it the last few days. I have the temp and humidty right.. but when the lid gets opened the unit lowers in temp and humidity. I plan on hand turning my eggs.. will this be a problem - if the temp and humidity lowers every time I turn them?

Also, does my incubator need to have vents open before the hatching? I put some in but when they are open the temp drops low. What about the tiny spaces left in the cord holes I drilled is that enough? Then there is also the air coming in when I turn the eggs.

Want to figure all this out before I get my eggs.

2. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    most likely your temp. will come back on point but it takes a little while, when i turn mine my temp. goes high & then it will level off & go back to where it was, i would not worry to much about the humidity, i dont run any water at all until the last 3 days which is lock down, & then you get your humidity up to about 65-70% & leave it closed until they hatch, good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. pioneergirl

Oct 13, 2010
    East Texas
    Alright.. so it's ok for the temp to drop during turning.
    Thanks -I'm a little nervous this will be my first hatch lol

4. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    yea think about it, when the hen comes off of the nest the eggs cool off a lot in 10-15 minutes, so yea your OK, good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:Hi,
    How long does it take for the temperature and humidity to recover?

6. Blissinged

Blissinged New Egg

Oct 28, 2010
    Im not very experienced with chickens yet, but I think that it's not very harmful to the egg if the temp cools down for just enough time for you to turn them.

7. pioneergirl

Oct 13, 2010
    East Texas
    I havent's really timed it, but it seems to come back within the hour.

I have discovered a problem with my incubator.. I'm using a 25 watt bulb witha dimmer switch. When I have the dimmer set to get 100 degrees I notice it cools to 97 degrees several times a day and stays for a little while. Later it goes back up to 100. Why is this happenening? I am not turning the dimmer switch at all. How can I fix this? All vents are closed except minute spaces where I've drilled holes for wires. Should I try a bigger watt bulb? I'm thinking that's not going to be good for the eggs.

8. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    you really need a wafer thermostat they have worked great for years, but as far as going down to 97 & back up to 100 will probably be OK, but i would try to get it up a little higher than that, mine will go down as far as 97.7 & back up to 101 & it does great, i have never used a dimer switch so i cant make a call on that, but get you a wafer thermostat & you will be happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by