Temp for 1 mo old bobs

kajhurley

Songster
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Cooper, TX
I recently took my 1 mo old bobs out of the brooder and put them in growout pens in my shed. It gets in the 60s here during the night, but they are inclosed so there is no draft. Do i need to put a light on them or will they be ok? Found one dead in the pen this morning. Do not know if it is from piling to stay warm or if they just killed the little guy.

I would add heat at night for them. Bobs mature a lot slower than other quail and at one month should still have temps in the low 80's to upper 70's. Put put a red heat lamp on them, allowing for them to get under it or away from it, and let them decide if they need the heat. Good luck!

I'm with JJ and 2crows....Since you're in the southern region of the country, nightly frigid temps are a ways off, and I wouldn't hesitate putting 4 week old chicks in a growout pen with a heat lamp here, as well as where you're at. I was doing that with 12 day old chicks about 3 weeks ago, but it has been like a sauna here all summer, and still unseasonably warm. Provide a wind-shield from a possible cool front wind, and provide the heat in a portion of the pen that will support all.........they will take it from there.

The worst thing you could do is have the birds chilled. A 60 or 75 watt bulb can suffice for a heat source at that age
wink.png

Thanks everyone for your replies. I don't think i was ready to take on bobs at this time. I was used to the coturnix breing ready in four weeks to be put out. Think i am gonna stick with them for a while. Don't have the room for the bobs right now. Wish i was though. I really like them.

ok, I have 5 week old Bobs.....ow long should I keep them on "starter" feed?

I have heard never take them off it, I have heard if you want pretty, well feathered birds put them on flight conditioner ???

I don't care either way, I am just wanting to feed them out to send to freezer camp !!

Quote:
I feed 2 types........Nutrena Turkey / Quail Starter (30% protein / medicated) for at least 12 weeks. From then on until butchering.....Nutrena Gamebird Breeder/Finisher (26% protein). I regularly mix the 30% and 26% for my breeders ... just because. Don't know what your "flight conditioner" is, but in a nutshell, feed the highest protein you can find and afford if you want to maximize growth in your birds in the shortest length of time possible.

Last edited:
Most people feed them gamebird starter from hatch to dispatch.

Some people have different views.

It's really your own gut feeling and opinion. If you are not going to breed them, then do the gamebird starter.

Back
Top Bottom