Temp for 5 week old chicks in outside coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skya328, Dec 1, 2008.

1. skya328

skya328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    We finally got chicks yesterday! [​IMG] They are EE/RIR mix and will be 5 weeks old tomorrow. They spent last night in the outside coop. It seems kind of cold (48 or 49 degrees) to me in the coop, but it could be perfect and I'm just being a bit cautious. I guess there could be worse things to be! They only huddle together and fluff themselves up on the perch when we're out there and have the door open. We covered most of the vents with packing paper -not newsprint- so it isn't to drafty. What should our ideal temp be for them?

We have a 125 watt clear heat lamp on for them, but I'm thinking we shouldn't be leaving that on 24/7. Should we get a different type of heat instead of the clear light? These are our first chickens and we don't want to screw anything up!

Here are a pictures I took of them a little bit ago...

On the roost
    [​IMG]

Enjoying their 1st oatmeal
    [​IMG]

Getting used to being touched still
    [​IMG]

I love this pic... so cute!
    [​IMG]

2. chick2good4u

chick2good4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on the chickies! [​IMG] They are cute! I'm not an expert, but I think they will be fine. [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You can always buy a red heat lamp bulb, but make certain that it is in a corner and where it wouldn't get anything hot enough to start something on fire. Once they are completely feathered out, you can gradually take the heat source away, They'll be fine.

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

They should be fine. Our 5 week olds are outside without heat and it has been down below freezing already. Just so long as they are well feathered which it looks like they are.

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    By the way, you know that one on the bottom left is a rooster, right? [​IMG]

6. skya328

skya328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Quote:I'm beginning to wonder if I have three roosters! I'm hoping that two are hens, but we'll see.

The temp in the coop is down to 38 so we're off to Walmart to get a red heat lamp! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by