Temp for the brooder box??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by henloverinmaine, May 25, 2008.

1. henloverinmaine

henloverinmaine Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2008
    Downeast coastal Maine
    Hi! I have a 1 day old chick and am getting ready to move him/her to a brooder box. What should the temp be in the box? Thank you!!

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I've raised 3 batches of day-olds this spring using the 5-degree a week rule. I keep my chickies at about 90-95 for the first week of life, providing them with plenty of space in the brooder to get away from the heat if they need to. After that, I decrease the temp about 5 degrees every week until they are at a constant 75. Watch your chickies. I've never yet seen mine act chilly, instead, some of them do not want to be as hot as they "should" be and stay at the outer edges of the brooder when they are resting. If they are all at the far end of the brooder away from the heat acting agitated or lethargic/panting, definitely decrease the heat by a few degrees and watch for more normal behaviour.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I agree with Sparrow, what I do is use the 95 as a start point, chicks should be spread out(I know kinda hard for one chick to spread out) If they are all under the light it is too cold(lower the light), if none under the light it is too hot(raise the light)

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Yup 90-95 first week and every week after that lower it 5 degrees [​IMG] Have fun with your babies! I'm SO enjoying mine! EXCEPT for the pasty butt! UGH!

5. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    A thermometer is a chicks best friend! Start at 95* first week then lower it 5* per week. Good luck [​IMG]

6. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I would have to dissagree, only use the thermometer as a starting point, some chicks will overheat in 95 degree temp, space is a chicks best friend, they need to be able to get out of the full heat if it is too hot for them. If you have 10 chicks some may want to be in direct heat, and others will want to be completely out of heat, the rest will be somewhere in between. If you have complete brooder at ONE temp some will be too hot and some too cold, which is not good.

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Best to watch the chick to see how it is reacting to the warm or cold.

I have babies in the coop with a mom hen - and she was teaching them to scratch around all day - they have no added heat - and it was around 85 in the coop - they were just fine - they were hatched out 21st and 22nd of May

8. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    Look at the link in my signature. It should bookmarked by every chicken owner.

9. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Where did you stick the Ther-MOM-meter?

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Where did you stick the Ther-MOM-meter?

[​IMG] [​IMG] Where can I buy one? when I buy it I'll figure it out by the pictures on the package! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by