temp & humidity question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 14 chickens & counting, Jan 22, 2011.

1. 14 chickens & counting

14 chickens & counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    I've got 16 eggs ready to go in my HB "circulating air" incubator. My temp is 100 and humidity at 63........Is this OK?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Everybody's humidity may be different, but for the most part, the range for the first 18 days should be between 40% and 50%. Up to 63% is good for lockdown, the last 3 days. I think a still air 'bator needs 100.5 and a forced air 'bator needs 99.5 temps.

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    All good - the humidity may be a bit high for the start of incubation - you would be better with 45 to 50% & kick it up to 65% for the last 3 days or so & during the hatch.

You want some of the water in the egg to evaporate during the next 3 weeks - it makes room for the chick.

4. 14 chickens & counting

14 chickens & counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    Quote:Thank for the info...looks like i"ll be cutting the temp down and opening a vent/or getting rid of some water to get the humidity down....Thanks again

5. Flashy2003

Flashy2003 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Connecticut
    Quote:How important is the stability of the humidity for the first 18? The reason I ask is mine was at %55. So I added marbles to the water to reduce surface area. Now its lower but as it evaporates it moves around. It goes between 40 and 50% a day. Is this fluctuation ok untill lock down?

6. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    Yes, humidity is a bit high for the beginning. I keep my humidity a little lower than most....35 to 40 in the beginning and 50-60 during lockdown. [​IMG] Good Luck!

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:How important is the stability of the humidity for the first 18? The reason I ask is mine was at %55. So I added marbles to the water to reduce surface area. Now its lower but as it evaporates it moves around. It goes between 40 and 50% a day. Is this fluctuation ok untill lock down?

Yup, the range between 40 & 50 is fine, doesn't need to stay absolutely stable, just not fall below very often or rise above for any great length of time.

8. Flashy2003

Flashy2003 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Connecticut
    Yup, the range between 40 & 50 is fine, doesn't need to stay absolutely stable, just not fall below very often or rise above for any great length of time.

Greyeyes, your so smart. Thanks​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by