Temp issue

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by echlfan, Apr 13, 2009.

1. echlfan

echlfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Fresno, California
    Chicks are 8 weeks & in a draft free coop, with pretty decent ventilation. The lowest it gets is in the 40's this week. The 250 watt red bulb just went out. Will they be OK, or should I run get a new one tonight?

2. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    They should be just fine if there well feathered out (should be by now) They will huddle together to stay warm.

3. fivestring

fivestring Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Nashville Georgia
    A white bulb would be ok for an emergency until you can replace the heat lamp. I know they say it promotes pecking but I use one in my brooder a lot.

4. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    I assume that they are pretty much feathered out by now so they should be fine, one day won't hurt them anyway. If it were me though, I would go and get some type of a light because I like to gradually work them into the cold and darkness of night, but that is not expert advise....I'm a newbie, could you just place a regular bulb in for tonite?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They should be fine. Have you been turning the light off some during the day to acclimate them to outside temps?
    Eight weeks is plenty old enough to be off their heat lamp.

6. echlfan

echlfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Fresno, California
    It has been off most the day. It was 75 today.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My bet is that they do just fine. You'll probably have a sleepless night though.
    If it will make you feel better and you have it available, you could add a little extra bedding for them to snuggle in.
    My chicks were without their light from 5 1/2 weeks on and it was still getting in the 40s at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by