1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Temp issues, not sure what's going on!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mpcardona, Mar 3, 2012.

1. mpcardona

mpcardona Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    This my first time incubating ever and on top of that I made my own incubator. I have a large Ice chest, 40w bulb, one digital and one Mercury thermometer, and small fan.I tested my incubator last night (3 hours 99) and all this morning (5 hours 100). I put my eggs in at 1pm and a couple hours later my digital temp said 106 my mercury temp said 102. I don't know what's going on. I have drilled a couple holes in the lid and opened the lid just a tad over a four hour span. I don't know what else to do. Are my eggs still going to be okay. I can't post pics till the morning. Anyone have any advise!

2. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    They'll be fine if you get that temp stable soon. You didn't damage them yet.

3. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    Temperature can fluctuate with the position of the incubator and the outside/indoor temperature of the air as well. If you have you incubator in a room that has a consistant temperature, you may get less fluctuation. Open windows, or even windows not covered by drapes can cause the temperature to rise dramatically. Air displacement (introducing the eggs) can also cause a temperature swing.

Are you using a control switch to keep your temperature constant? It would help you greatly so you don't end up fiddling with the heat too much.

4. rkb rach

rkb rach New Egg

Feb 27, 2012
    Just keep watching it and give it time after each adjustment for the termperature to settle. If the internal egg temperature hits 103 degrees and above it will start to damage the embryo. I have never incubated above a 100 degrees due to there being such a small window to keep it at. I would keep it a tad lower and gradually work up (maybe).

5. mpcardona

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    The lid to my chest is hollow, so I drilled 6 small screw holes through the first layer and even had to prop open the lid a tiny bit. I knew the hardest part of this project was going to be the temp, just didn't think it was going to be like this. Nest time I will upgrade my ice chest with a thermostat.
    So danger zone is 103-95?
    I woke up this morning and my temp was at 99. [​IMG]
    Then 20 mins later it dropped to 97.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  6. Barbedwirecat

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    Get a water wiggler toy and a probe indoor/outdoor thermometer and stick it inside the toy, them in the incubator. After a few hours it will tell you the internal temperature of your eggs. I say 105 is too high for an extended period of time. If it's a short spike it's OK. Below 97 is too low for an extended period. I have two thermometers, one for air temp in the incubator, and one for egg temp. As long as the eggs temp doesn't fall too low you should be OK.

Maintain between 99 and 101 though I strive for 100.

7. mpcardona

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    The water wiggler trick, that's pretty neat. How do you come up with something like that. Too cool!

8. Barbedwirecat

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I can't take credit for that at all :) I had a lot of help when I started hatching and another member told me that trick!!

9. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

That is what is supposed to happen. After the temp has been stable and you add the eggs, the incubator is working to warm them up. Therefore the spike in temps. Don't adjust anything until the eggs have completely warmed, which should take a few hours. Once they are warm the temps should even out. Happy hatching.

10. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    An INC without a THERMOSTAT is like driving a Car without a Steering wheel... cva34

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by