Temp issues with Hovabator...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sableboi, Jan 15, 2011.

1. sableboi

sableboi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Lakeland
    Ok - what do ya'll do when the three thermometers all read something different in the same incubator?

2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    throw out the cheap thermometer that came with the bator! they don't work well enough to be reliable! plus, where are you putting the thermometers makes a difference!

eta: i no longer use a bator-i use a broody hen! much better results!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Did you calibrate all three before you put them in the bator? I put two in mine and both read different temps. When I calibrated them I wrote the temp difference on them. It means doing some math in my head, but they do balance out that way.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

You need to test them with one you trust. Medical thermometers are good for that. Then remember that there are hot an cold spots in most incubators to. There is also a bit temp difference from top to bottom in a fan-less incubator.
    [​IMG]

5. sableboi

Mar 23, 2010
    Lakeland
    I bought two digital thermometers...plus the one that came with the incubator.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I never use the one that comes with the bator.

Are you sure the fan is working?

How you calibrated the digital ones? Often their issues are the same as with hygrometers.

7. sableboi

Mar 23, 2010
    Lakeland
    Not sure what you mean by calibrated? There is nothing on the instructions for the thermometers that gives any indications I need to do anything but turn them on...I got the chicks through second candling only to have them die right before hatch...I am not happy.

8. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Does this drawing suggest venting top and bottom, i.e., drawing fresh (cool) air in from the bottom and venting the hot air through the top?
    I just converted an igloo ice chest into an incubator, and wondering the best way to vent. The light bulb is mounted up high at one end of the incubator, and the thermostat is mounted up high on the opposite end. Any suggestions on proper venting would be greatly appreciated

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    http://www.asianonlinerecipes.com/thermometers/calibrating-thermometers.php

This
    is for cooking theremometers, but the ice method should work for them all.

As I said before, when I calibrated my two they read a totally different temp than the third (a mercury themometer that was accurate). Temps being off by even a couple of degrees makes the difference between eggs developing and eggs dying. Calibrate your thermometers, mark on them how many degrees they are off so you can easily do the math when you check, and try again with some sample eggs to make sure you got it right.

Good luck [​IMG]

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Quote:Does this drawing suggest venting top and bottom, i.e., drawing fresh (cool) air in from the bottom and venting the hot air through the top?
    I just converted an igloo ice chest into an incubator, and wondering the best way to vent. The light bulb is mounted up high at one end of the incubator, and the thermostat is mounted up high on the opposite end. Any suggestions on proper venting would be greatly appreciated

Yes, vents both high an low pull air threw the incubator. That drawing is of factory foam incubators. The vents on a homemade incubator don't have to be top an bottom but the further they are apart vertically the better they will pull air threw the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by