Temp not high enough in the bator I got today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GwenFarms, Apr 23, 2008.

1. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    The temp in the hova bator I got from a neighbor today is staying around 95. The egg turner is working and the heating element is working fine. I think air is getting around in some chips where it seals. I was thinking of putting a towel around it, but dh is afraid it will get too hot then. I have to have this settled and eggs in tommorow, as we are leaving for a trip to the beach tommorow evening. Should I put them in at 95, or fool with it and try to get it up?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'd fool with it and try to get it the temp up more, thats way too low to set eggs with in my opinion...hard to tell what will happen in the eggs .....Should be able to get the dial turned up higher if not something isn't working right...

It takes acouple days to get temps to stable in a bator before setting eggs...Doesn't it have a lever to increase or decrease temps?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Get that temp right before putting in eggs or you'll risk losing the eggs. Have you adjusted the thermostat on it yet? Even "preset" bators need to be fiddled with to get the temps right.

4. GwenFarms

Feb 26, 2008
    Its a hova bator and has the wing nut at the top to adjust, but its as tight as it will go. I think there is too many vents holes open, or air is getting in where there is a chip, or two along the seal. I was thinking of wrapping it in something to keep the temp up.

5. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    You have to loosen the wing nut in order to adjust the temp by turning the adjuster arm. You then re-tighten the wing nut to hold the adjuster arm securely. Turning the wing nut will not affect the temp. Also, is the indicator light cycling on and off or just staying on all the time? If it is cycling on and off then you just dont have it turned up enough. If it is staying on all the time but not getting warmer you may have a defective heating element.

Richard

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Close one of the vent holes or both for awhile...should will help if there are other ways for air to get in....

7. GwenFarms

Feb 26, 2008
    Quote:This is a huge help. See, I don't know if you read my first thread about this today, but it came to me without any instructions and I had to search around online to even find out what kind it is. The instrucitions I finally found didn't mention moving the arm, or it could be I read through them so fast, I didn't catch that part...this is most likely the case [​IMG] The light does cycle on and off, so, hopefully, the element is okay.

I'll try closing the vent holes if this doesn't help.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by