1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Temp question!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bryam, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    I have a Hovabator 1533, with a fan. The fan broke, so I changed the fan, but could only find a weaker one. 12 V instead of 15V. I am going to be hatching some Serama eggs and started it up, I had to increase the heat to 99F, from 97F, should I try to increase it again? Or leave it? The digital thermometer reads 89.9F

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Do you mean 1588 Genesis model? The one with preset digital control.

There will be a difference of temp inside the incubator, how much layering of heat is an unknown until you take temps at different heights. The difference will be due to the amount of air flow the new fan (measured in cubic feet per second) compared to the older larger fan. It may be slight to no difference or notable layering of heat. You'll need to adjust temp to get 99.5F where the mid level of eggs will be in incubator. When setting eggs and having less than an auto holder holds I leave out the corners and center making a doughnut shape to provide maximum air flow around the eggs.

Your thermometer may be way off, I'd check the temp in the incubator with an oral thermometer from your medicine cabinet.

3. chickenlover4yo

chickenlover4yo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2015
    could Oral thermometers still be used like digital thermometers when measuring the heat of the incubator im going incubate tomorrow or the next day in my homemade incubator...so I would like to know ..

4. Egghead_Jr

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Oral thermometers are the most accurate device for such little cost. Both styles, digital and analog, are extremely accurate and we all have one in out medicine cabinet. I have a cigar humidor combo temp/hygrometer unit that is in the incubator. I calibrate the hygrometer prior to each hatching season with a salt test and only use the thermometer as a reference of temp, alert to change. For setting the incubator temperature I only use an oral thermometer. The combo unit reads low and only to full degree. If it reads 99F I know the temp is rising and the medical thermometer to confirm and readjust (fine tune).

5. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    They are all digital, yes it is a 1588 Hovabator! So I should try to increase the temp then! Should I turn the automatic turner on, will that produce some heat too?

6. Egghead_Jr

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Yes, the motor on the turner heats up. That's why some turners have the egg space next to motor covered. Little Giant turners only hold 41 eggs due to that. Think the Hova bator turner is 42. Like I said when placing less than a full turner of eggs it's a good idea to leave the center under the fan open and corners open for maximum air flow around the doughnut of eggs you place.

The mass of eggs aid in stablizing the heat, to reproduce that when setting the temp you can put a few bottles of water in for heat sink.

7. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008

Should I increase the temp in my Hovabator 1588? Each number that you push 1-8 how many degrees does each number make the temperature go up by? Does anybody know??

8. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008

Hello Egghead!

You were absolutly right about the laying of heat! With the automatic turner inside, the air flow was bad and one part of the incubator read 99, while a thermometer sitting on the egg turner read 101.5F, while a third in the corner on the floor of the incubator read 98F. So before getting my egg yesterday, I decided to remove the automatic turner and then in all three corners of the incubator it read 99.3-99.5F. I figure there is more air flow without the automatic turner inside and I will just turn the eggs myself 3 times a day.

Did i do the right thing? Should i get a little computer fan to put in there to move the air more?

I appreciate the advice!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  9. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    Bump! Anybody!!!

10. Egghead_Jr

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I'd use the auto turner. Your variance of temp was low in incubator to top so the layer at turner height will be about the same. With the mass of eggs in the incubator the temperature will be even more stable. Just put them in a doughnut shape, leaving egg holders open in center or more and leave eggs out of corners of incubator. That will give you excellent air flow. Hand turning is all well and good but for your best hatch rate you can't beat an auto turner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by