temp question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pinenot, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    Can eggs hatch at 101-102 throughout the first 18 days? I just bought a Egg-Temp Digital Thermometer and it says that I have been running 101-2....but I am hatching eggs...so is this new digital thermometer that is made for this wrong or can they hatch at that temp. They have been hatching on the 21st day and not early????[​IMG]

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Every thermometer I have reads different. It drives me crazy.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If they are hatching on day 21 your temperature and humidity are correct no matter what the thermometer says.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Still air incubator temps s/b 101-102. If that's what you're using, then you're fine and the fact that they're hatching on time also says you're fine. Always go by hatch date, instead of thermometer readings. But once you know what reading works - keep using it.

Jody

5. Hi! If you are reading air temp at egg height, then your temps are just right for the full ' 21 Days'.
    You only need to increase humidity around Day 18.
    What day are you now??

Lisa

6. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    My first incubation last year ran very hot (old incubator, new one now) and I had my eggs incubating at 102-103 still air. I had good development at first but then my chicks started hatching on day 18 and the majority of them were dead-in-shell. A couple of the survivors had minor foot deformities as well. If you are getting hatches at 21 days your temp is fine.

Richard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by