temp question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mom'sfolly, Dec 13, 2007.

1. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    The incubator is set up, running and I am not very patiently waiting for eggs. The temp in the water wiggler is holding steady at 98.5, which I know is a little low. This is a homemade 'bator and the temperature setting is a little difficult. What I want to know is if it is better to keep a slightly lower temperature, or should I keep fiddling to get it that one degree higher? I'm going to try to confirm that the temperature is reading accurately. Will a cooler temperature kill eggs? Or will it just delay the hatch? I know from reading here that a too high temp will.

Thanks,

Karen

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'd keep bumping the thermostat up just a bare fraction at a time. Then wait at least 6 hours and check again.

The range in the WW should be between 99.5- 100 and I think 98.5 is too low to get a good hatch. While it is true that a hair too low is better than too high, having it too low can cause other problems and it's worth the extra effort to get it closer to 99-100.

It took me over a week to get my last bator running steady, but once I got it set, it's been in a very steady range - worth the aggravation of setting.

The first bator I built, same thing - took a while to get it adjusted, but then was right on. When I fired it up again for this batch of eggs, I did not have to adjust it at all again - it warmed right up and held temps perfectly.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I agree with Arlee.

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I confirmed my temp with 3 digital fever thermometers and two read the same, so I'm going with my thermometer being accurate. I upped the temperature and it seems to be holding steady at 99.3. Now if the eggs would just get here, darned post office.

5. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I have to say going to much higher above 100 you will have a horrific problem at hatch. I had mine set at 101 and I 3/4 of my hatch was early and they were born with their intestines on the outside of their bodies. Truly horrible. I was told it was a humidity problem. But i had the same luck the second try. I backed the temp. off to 99.5 and they all came out healthy and happy. Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by