Temp read 104, did I cook them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkies4penny, Jan 23, 2012.

1. silkies4penny

silkies4penny Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    Fayetteville, WV
    I don't know how long it was for but when I came home today, my record high on my digital was 104. this is in a still air Hovabator, and happened on day 13 of incubation.

2. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    if it was for less than 30 minuets probably not.i read in a book a still air danger zone is 107 (the temp that kills them) and 103 is the danger zone for a forced air. in still air i think the recommended temp is 102. i would keep incubating anyways...

3. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Don't think so. I had a temp of 107 for about 4 hours on day 2 and now (going on day 5) over half of my eggs have nice veins and are growing very well.
    My temp also gets to 104 quite frequently (just had to open the lid about 5 minutes ago as that was the temp at the top of the eggs).

4. milakegrl

milakegrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    UP of MI

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  5. Squawkbox

Dec 25, 2011
    I'm using a very accurate infrared heat gun so, my temperatures of the eggs are correct and most are doing just fine. I read somewhere on here where someone had theirs spike to 115 and had hatches [​IMG].

6. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I went through the very same thing only mine read 106 !! Not sure how long it went that way ! But my little wigglers are still doing fine and due on Jan. 28th

7. Squawkbox

Dec 25, 2011
    Yay [​IMG], please post pics when they hatch [​IMG].

8. milakegrl

milakegrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    UP of MI
    Remember placement of the actual bulb of the thermometer is a HUGE factor in reading temp in still air bators.
    Ignore the heading! Good info on temp layering!

http://cmfarm.us/stillair.html

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  9. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Eggs in still air incubators can withstand higher temperatures then if they they were in a forced air one [​IMG] I don't really know why, but I see it as a good thing because your eggs wont cook even if the temps like 106, and still air models are usualy the type to not keep a steady temp, so if you thnk about it........still air bator kinda solves their own problem lol. Good luck with your hatch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by