TEMP SPIKE did i kill my babies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by starryeyes, May 11, 2009.

1. starryeyes

starryeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Ok eggs went in on the 9th in the new home made cabnet bator. Keeping temp right has been a pain working the kinks out. The humidity is easy its perfect. I checked bator temp a hr ago it was 99 i took a bath and it went to 102 . My dh is a home inspector so i have the use of all his gadgets he has this thing that reads temp. It has a laser on it and is supossed to be the most acurate you can buy. The eggs came up at 106 . I took them out but I am pretty sure they cant survive that much of a jump??
    any help would be great do i toss them or what

starry

2. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Many on here will tell you they are still ok... put them back quickly. It is probably worse for them to warm and cool, warm and cool. But, this is just distillation of what I have read on here. I am not speaking from experience.

3. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    I had a temp spike of 120 for over an hr and 6 survived to hatch, the spike was about day 7

4. starryeyes

starryeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    TY TY i feel much better. I will keep everyone posted. I moved eggs from bottom tray up so we shall see. I am also moving the bator to my bedroom that stays at a steady temp away from doors and windows.

Starry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by