Temp spike. HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Billyj, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    I just checked on my eggs and saw that my temp was at 102*. I am on day 17 with 11 eggs. I don't know how long it has been that temp. What do I do??? I opened the top and let some of the heat out, and now am watching it (the temp) like a hawk. Is there anything else I can do??? Not good at candeling but I did see mevement in about 4 of them. I am freaking out right now!!!HHHHHEEEEELLLLPPPPP

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You are ok. 102 is no big deal especially toward the end of a hatch. Get it back down and wait for them to hatch.

3. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    102 will be fine [​IMG] dont worry like debiraymond said. IF I remember right anything above 103, you should worry.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  4. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Firstly... Take a deep Breath!!!!.. Glass of Wine.. Stiff Drink...

Secondly.. 102.. is within the safe hatching range... WORRY if it gets to 104. Most people don't notice that eggs start to give off their own heat close to hatching.. all they see are pips, zips, and fuzzy butts.. but yes it can happen. I don't know what type of incubator you have, but you might have to open a vent. Keep an eye on the temps, but don't be overly concerned with 102.

Also check your water.. Depending on the type of bator, I have noticed that some of them will have rise in the temps when they are out of water.

5. MrsPinkKitty

MrsPinkKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    if you do not have a fan in your bator 102 is ideal.I am on my sixth hatch and i keep my first two hatches at 99.5 100 and all the chicks were two to three days late. After some research i found that 102 was ideal if you are cheep like me and dont have a fan .My hatches after i switched the temp have been awsome .They are on time if not early and no quiters.102 is the temp for me when hatching with a non-circulated incubator

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    More depends upon what type of incubator you are using and what the humidity is doing.

I don't know what you are using, but a temp spike of 102F is not a huge worry. Happy hatching! [​IMG]

7. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    Thank you. I have a hovabator something (Got it from my school) The temp is back down to 99.1 and humidity is 60%. I think I will take you up on that stiff drink idea. I am so worried b/c I lost all (36) of my babies last year to something and I am starting over. Just don't want to go through that again. Hatch is on Friday. Lockdown tomorrow. Too close to the end now. Ok I will quit rambling. I am ok (I think).

8. debilorrah

Quote:At the end and the beginning of a hatch, even 103 if caught before an hour is not going to harm them. EXTREME temp hikes like 105 and over will harm them.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Does it have a fan?

10. debilorrah

Quote:Does it have a fan?

I always forget about asking these questions (I have the Brinsea one). Good catch!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by