Temp spike over night. Have I killed the eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by B J Hopkins, Mar 28, 2012.

1. B J Hopkins

B J Hopkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Central Missouri
    I started a new batch of eggs the evening of 3/27/12. My incubator had been on all day and the temp. had consistently been 100 degrees. After I put the eggs in it took over 3.5hrs to come back up to 100. Last night I saw the temp was 102. OK I figured but still I turned until the light went off. I watched it over the next hour or so and temp seemed to hold at 100. Now just a few minutes ago I can in to turn the eggs and it's about 105! I'm working at stabilizing the temp. Have I killed the eggs right off the bat? Or caused deformities?

2. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    Is your incubator still air or does it have a fan? I know lethal temp for a still air is 107, not sure about forced air though.
    I hope everything is okay [​IMG]

3. AngelaPenny

AngelaPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    Have some faith.

I, too, had temperature spikes at the beginning of incubation with a homemade bator.

They all continued to grow. Relax.

4. B J Hopkins

Feb 14, 2012
    Central Missouri
    It's a still air 'bator. I'm hoping also. Gonna keep them going and candle on 4/2/12. Hope I can see inside the shell.

5. B J Hopkins

Feb 14, 2012
    Central Missouri

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    My sister is incubating eggs using a homemade incubator, as a home school project with her kids. The fan didn't seem to be working right and when she replaced it, she put it in with it blowing in the wrong direction, and ended up with temps as high as 105 or 106. This was towards the end of week 1. We thought that she killed the eggs, but decided to move forward and watch and hope while looking for another source of eggs. This week she removed all the eggs she thought were duds, and added a few eggs from another source. She cracked open one of the eggs that she thought was dead, and there was a live chick in it... not quite ready to hatch... So don't give up hope. She may have eggs pipping in the next 48 hours. We will see. (Now she has eggs with 3 different due dates in there!)

7. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    UPDATE!!! She just posted on facebook that she is hearing peeping sounds from the eggs, so... Don't give up hope! :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  8. B J Hopkins

Feb 14, 2012
    Central Missouri
    [​IMG] That's encouraging. The temp has been stable all day since I got it reset this morning.

Sorry your sister lost one chick. Something I've done in the past, if I'm not sure about an egg and it's close to hatch time is; I put the egg against my ear and tap on the shell w/my finger nail. Sometimes the chick will peep letting me know the egg is still viable.

9. Puddleducks

Puddleducks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    I just had an unexpected heat spike to 105! It's good to know 107 is the limit now, that will be a little less fretting. Good luck with your own eggs or maybe this is an old thread, or something XP Anyway just the answer I was looking for!

10. bekki

bekki New Egg

Apr 1, 2009
    i have a forced air incubator and had a temp spike over night of roughly 102 do you think they will be ok they were supposed to hatch yesterday but nothing yet the spike was last week

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by