Temp Spike, Should I chuck my eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Jan 28, 2009.

1. I woke up this morning and came downstiars to turn my eggs for the first time of the day. I only have three left in there, two were clear and when cracked open were not fertile.
    Well the temp in the bator read 109 this morning [​IMG]
    I had at least one confirmed candled baby in there, and one possible blood ring and one that I just wasn't sure about. I guess they're really goners now right?

Baked ducks [​IMG] I really feel horrible.

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Don't give up. Have you candled them ? Many people have had high spikes (me) 112 and still had a good hatch. i would candle them. What day are you on ?

3. Day nine [​IMG]

4. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Hold on until day 12 and candle.

5. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Don't toss them, I have chicks pipping right now and at day 7 I found the temp at 109.6. They ight still be ok don't give up yet.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    don't chuck them. Incubators hold their temps better if they are full of eggs. If you have room, you could even put a few pints of water in there as a heat sink, (absorbs extra heat when it gets too hot, releases extra heat when it gets too cold, slows the actual temperature changes inside the eggs when the bator acts up.

7. *sniffles* Ok I'll wait until day 12 and candle...

My first incubating experience, I'm kind of an emotional wreck lol

8. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I have a pint water bottle in with mine when my bator is not full. i think it helps as well.
    Hang in there it is always nerve racking !
    IM on day 20 with my 3 rd hatch. [​IMG]

first hatch was shipped eggs, I got 6 out of 9.
    second hatch not shipped eggs1 out of 6. [​IMG]

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    awww... don't e hard on yourself. We all made mistakes, some (like me) moe than others. I am just now starting to get it right myself, with a constant supply of hatching eggs and everything, I still bum when I don't get it right.

10. Thanks *hugs* At least they are from my own ducks so I can get more...

I am determined to not by shipped eggs until I get at least a couple of hatches done with free/cheap eggs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by