temp spike to 102!

nicoletm24

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
Timberlake
day 14...and i just checked the temp, which has been 99 for a week...it was at 102!
this far along...will it hurt the chicks? i opened both vents to get it a bit cooler in there.....the humidity is at 35-40% still.

ugh...i'm stressing bc it's getting soooooo close!
fl.gif

Thats fine, I keep my still air between 99.5 and 102 but it usually averages at 100.5 and mine are all ok. Not long till lock down for you now! Good luck with your hatch
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
:D

Nicole, I'm on day 14 and I had a temp spike of 104 today! My bator also held a consistent temp until day 12 or so and then it went from 99.3 to 100.4; not sure why. I candled my eggs and they still showed movement, so I wouldn't sweat the temp of 102. Good luck with your hatch!!

ok
big_smile.png

just worried about my babies...lol
i'm hoping for at least 18 fuzzies this time! at least last time i candled at day 10 there were 18.
i'm hoping also that at day 18 there will still be 18 fuzzies swimming around in eggs.
fl.gif

As the chicks get older, they will begin to create their own heat, which can cause fluxuations in temperature--completely normal. Be concerned if the temp raises to 103 or more and stays there. This can cause permanent damage or death.

ugh. Mine does that everytime I hatch eggs...
barnie.gif

don't worry though because 102 will not hurt the eggs.
smile.png

Good luck with your eggs!!!

-Becca

Last edited:
Quote:
are you talking about in a forced air or a still-air?

Nicole, which are you using? I'm on day 13 with my one lonely little egg. It IS so nerve racking!!!! I've been using a home-made still air incubator (if you can call it that...put together that night) and have struggled very high temp spikes the first day, and now fluctuations between 98.4-103.8 for the last week!!!! It normally stays at 102 (which is my goal temp) but every now and then I get those dips and spikes. I check it so often though that if it does get at those temps, it's not for long. So I'm praying that it will have no permanant damage, if it even hatches. I know it's still alive in there though ; ) My fingers are crossed for both you and me!!!!

Now the count down to lock down!!!!!!

no clue at this moment which one i'm using. it's store bought.

but it's been a constant 99.1-99.5 for the whole time, then i woke to it being 102 one morning! i freaked!
barnie.gif

opened both vents and even the lid for about 30 seconds to get that heat back to 99.

the humidity has been steady at 30-45 the whole time.

i think i might have issues getting the humidity up in couple days..... i might have to try the wet sponge trick.

whats a good temp to get it up to for lock down??????????????
hu.gif

jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom