temp spike will they be ok?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greenthumb89, Jul 17, 2008.

1. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    this is my first time hatching i am using an LG still air without a turner and the temp spiked to 104...no idea how long but when i went to turn them at 9 it was at 104 so it could have been there since 1 this afternoon...i know that this is probably going to harm the hatch but by how much? anyone know? this is my first hatch i got 22 eggs in there and im only hoping for 4ish chicks...at the most

2. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

They could still be alive, wait it out.
    Do you candle?

My last hatch I had temperature spikes, and turning problems and got 90% hatch rate, just make sure it doesn't happen again during incubation.

LG= Little Giant?

I used to have a Little Giant and it always spiked and never got good hatches, you might as well upgrade to a hova-bator there the best [​IMG]

What kind of eggs you got in there?

3. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I dont think it will hurt a thing, why are you only expecting 4 chicks?

4. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Usually temp spikes like you are talking about dont effect the hatch that much. I would not worry. However spikes greater and longer, should be of concern. Just keep an eye on the temps and try to correct it when they start. [​IMG]

5. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i had a temp spike of 110 and some hatched i dont think it hurt yours

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I can see this driving you crazy until you are at day 21! I have a feeling you MAY end up with more then 4! I sure hope things are ok...104 isn't TO bad! I think they will be ok. [​IMG]

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
  8. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I just hached 6 out of 7 in the last 24hr's. The temp's spiked to 105 for maybe 4 hour's on day 18 when I moved them to the hatcher. Boy was I happy to see chick's. I just checked the last egg and I saw movement so maybe that one will hatch too. Good luck but why only 4? Soon as you see them you will be addicted. Trust me.

9. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I get 104 temp spikes in my LG still air all the time, it does not affect my hatch rate. I usually just lift the lid to the bator for a few minutes and then go on my way. You'll be okay.

-Kim

10. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    Quote:because this is my first hatch and they were shipped

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by