1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

temp spike will they be ok?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greenthumb89, Jul 17, 2008.

1. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Songster

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    this is my first time hatching i am using an LG still air without a turner and the temp spiked to 104...no idea how long but when i went to turn them at 9 it was at 104 so it could have been there since 1 this afternoon...i know that this is probably going to harm the hatch but by how much? anyone know? this is my first hatch i got 22 eggs in there and im only hoping for 4ish chicks...at the most

2. They could still be alive, wait it out.
    Do you candle?

My last hatch I had temperature spikes, and turning problems and got 90% hatch rate, just make sure it doesn't happen again during incubation.

LG= Little Giant?

I used to have a Little Giant and it always spiked and never got good hatches, you might as well upgrade to a hova-bator there the best [​IMG]

What kind of eggs you got in there?

3. CindyS

CindyS Songster

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I dont think it will hurt a thing, why are you only expecting 4 chicks?

4. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Songster

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Usually temp spikes like you are talking about dont effect the hatch that much. I would not worry. However spikes greater and longer, should be of concern. Just keep an eye on the temps and try to correct it when they start. [​IMG]

5. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Songster

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i had a temp spike of 110 and some hatched i dont think it hurt yours

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I can see this driving you crazy until you are at day 21! I have a feeling you MAY end up with more then 4! I sure hope things are ok...104 isn't TO bad! I think they will be ok. [​IMG]

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas

8. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I just hached 6 out of 7 in the last 24hr's. The temp's spiked to 105 for maybe 4 hour's on day 18 when I moved them to the hatcher. Boy was I happy to see chick's. I just checked the last egg and I saw movement so maybe that one will hatch too. Good luck but why only 4? Soon as you see them you will be addicted. Trust me.

9. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Songster

Jan 25, 2008
    I get 104 temp spikes in my LG still air all the time, it does not affect my hatch rate. I usually just lift the lid to the bator for a few minutes and then go on my way. You'll be okay.

-Kim

10. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Songster

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    Quote:because this is my first hatch and they were shipped

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by