Temp Spiked 106

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Titus, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Titus

Titus Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Shelbyville, KY
    I have a 9200 styrofoam incubator still air with a dozen americauna eggs incubating. They were on their 3rd day, when I left for work incubator was 101 degrees when I got back it said 106 degrees with 45% humidity. I installed a CPU fan / added some water and now the temp is 99 with 60% humidity. Dont know how long it was at 106, but I think it gradually increased while I was at work (8 hours). Do you think any will still hatch? (this is my first time hatching eggs)

2. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Titus,

It's truly hard to say, 106 is a very large spike. You can let them go for a few more days and candle them to see any growth activity.

I wouldn't stop because they might still be alive, even if it's one.

Best of Luck [​IMG]

3. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    the same thing happened to me. when i got up this morning mine was 106. noooooo. i will add this, on my last batch of eggs i had a whole day of spikes ranging from 104-110(didn't get it below that till evening) and i had a great hatch rate even still. not saying they're alive but those little eggs are weird that way. just candle them. you might be surprised.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Don't give up on them. I had a God-know-how-long spike to 111 degrees and I just hatched 4 (all normal) out of 18. I tossed eggs along the way that quit. I did have 3 that didn't pip/hatch that were close to fullterm chicks...that was a bummer. So in all...7 of the 18 survived from day 6 (the day of the spike) until at least day 19. Then 4 of the 7 hatched.

5. Titus

Titus Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Shelbyville, KY
    Thats encouraging! I'll definately hold out hope for them. I think I'll also try and get the humidity down a bit. Hopefully no more surprises today when I get home...

Thanks

6. Titus

Titus Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Shelbyville, KY
    woops

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Definitely get that humidity down to 40-45%. Take all the water out if you have to. I really believe that more chicks are lost to high humidity/drowning than any other way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by