Temp spiked...in need of advice...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazychickengirl, Jun 22, 2008.

1. crazychickengirl

crazychickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Ok...this is my first group of eggs in my incubator. A few were on day 7, and the rest were on day 4. I was gone all day yesterday and when I got home the temp in my incubator said 87 degrees. So I turned the temp up and meant to check it before bed and forgot. When I woke up it had spiked to 113 degrees. I know chances are that most of my eggbies are fried, but had anyone had any surivived after a spike this high?

My friend came over today and candled the oldest eggs with me and 2 were fertile, 2 were dead, and 2 are iffy. We think we might have seen one of them move, but we're not positive. We didn't check any of the ones on day 4...we thought we'd wait a few days until we could see more easily.

Anyways...any good news would be great! However, I imagine I cooked them all and will need to find more eggs and start over with my hatching.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Well, from the master of temp spikes I think that even at that high a temp you may have a few survive. The only thing you can do is to keep on keeping on...candle every couple of days. YOu should be able to see moving embryos...but don't lose faith and toss them unless they are weeping.

Do keep us posted. When good things happen, even with wild temp swings...it's always encouraging for others!

Best luck...

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I would leave them and candle again in 10 days and see how they are doing. Sometimes they surprise you and you can get some to hatch. Good Luck and I have my fingers crossed for you.[​IMG]

4. crazychickengirl

crazychickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Glenmont, Ohio
    I decided to candle the remaining 2 polish eggs last night before bed and one had a very distant blood ring in it, so it's a goner. The other one doesn't have the blood ring yet, however the embryo hasn't moved either....things don't look good.....so I'm on the lookout for more eggs to replenish all the ones I cooked. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by