Temp. spikes...techniques not working! help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77horses, Apr 17, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    agh! adjusting the temp. in the bottom of the hoemade styro-bator is becoming a pain! the top(in the egg turner) stays at 100-101*F. But in the bottom, it goes up to 103*F. [​IMG] So, I made 2 holes in the near the bottom. I already had 2 near the top, so I thought that if i added 2 holes near the bottom, the temp. would go down. Nope. It went right back up to 103.7*F, then went down to like 103.2, then went up some... [​IMG] What do i do now???? I already have 4 holes on one side of the bator(2 closer to the top and 2 closer to the bottom).

Thanks!

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    what wattage bulb you might try a lower watt bulb or a fan for air circulation

3. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:It's a 25 watt light bulb. I thought about changing it, but then the top part of the bator(where the egg turner is) would probably not be the same, and right now it's perfect. It stays at 100-101*F. It's just the bottom that is too hot. [​IMG]

Maybe should I add another hole or more? [​IMG]

4. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Also, I do use a fan. It's on the opposite wall of the bator, across from the light bulb. So the air is blowing towards the light bulb.

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Hmm im pretty new so I dont know , hopefully someone will know more. Maybe some how hatch the eggs up where the temp is perfect [​IMG]

6. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:I couldn't do that because the turner is quite a ways from the bottom of the bator, and I know that a baby chick would probably fall off when it hatched. [​IMG] So I can't hatch the eggs in the turner. [​IMG]

7. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I do not think holes are going to help it, the key is the air circulation, and poor, uneven styrofoam insulation.

By the way why would you want to make a home styrobator, when a commercial styrobators are mostly trouble and pain?

Just buy a plastic cooler and go from there.

You can not make a decent bator the cheapest way, you need to spend a little more to get a decent product (bator).

8. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:I do not think holes are going to help it, the key is the air circulation, and poor, uneven styrofoam insulation.

By the way why would you want to make a home styrobator, when a commercial styrobators are mostly trouble and pain?

You can not make a decent bator the cheapest way, you need to spend a little more to get a decent product (bator).

The cheapest bator out there that I have seen are like $40 and all it is is a small stryofoam box, along with some things. You usually have to buy a turner, too. and like the Little Giant, I've heard it doesn't hold temp. and/or humidity very steady.

I've been thinking of jut starting over with something else as a bator...like a mini fridge, cooler, wooden cabinet, etc.

any thoughts???

9. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay

The cheapest bator out there that I have seen are like $40 and all it is is a small stryofoam box, along with some things. You usually have to buy a turner, too. and like the Little Giant, I've heard it doesn't hold temp. and/or humidity very steady.

I've been thinking of jut starting over with something else as a bator...like a mini fridge, cooler, wooden cabinet, etc.

any thoughts???

Yes, cooler, fridge. wooden cabinet are way better than a couple of dollars styro box, and you can have them for free most of the time.

I made a bator from a wooden nighstand and it works better tha n any commercial styrobator.

10. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:The cheapest bator out there that I have seen are like $40 and all it is is a small stryofoam box, along with some things. You usually have to buy a turner, too. and like the Little Giant, I've heard it doesn't hold temp. and/or humidity very steady.

any thoughts???

Yes, cooler, fridge. wooden cabinet are way better than a couple of dollars styro box, and you can have them for free most of the time.

I made a bator from a wooden nighstand and it works better tha n any commercial styrobator.

Where can we get them for free? We are currently keeping an eye out for any plastic coolers, etc. And at our local dumb, there's a lot of wooden things that people drop off. There are sometimes fridges, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by